- The Himalayas formed as the Indian subcontinent collided with Asia over millions of years.
- The Himalayas continue to rise about 5 mm/year as the Indian plate moves beneath the Asian plate, making this region seismically active.
- A magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck in Nepal on April 25, 2015, devastating Kathmandu.
- The earthquake destroyed many homes and buildings, trapping and killing thousands in the rubble.
- Soldiers search through the rubble looking for survivors.
- This temple was built in 1609.
- Here it is after the quake.
- Effort now has mostly turned to recovering bodies, as the death toll continues to climb. Many people remain homeless.
- The quake also triggered a series of avalanches on Mt. Everest, trapping or killing dozens of climbers. This is what Base Camp typically looks like this time of year.
- Here is video from the moment the avalanche hit Everest Base Camp.
Nepal Earthquake and Avalanche
The recent 7.8 earthquake in Nepal devastated the city of Katmandu and set off a series of avalanches killing several on Mt. Everest.
byMark Rauscher143 Views