MAD ABOUT MOBILE- Moderator @marianliu: original sin was shoveling newspaper onto web; new mistake: shoveling website onto mobile.- Panelists agree that mobilizing content opens doors with more minority audiences & advertisers. Protect brand by being there.
PANELISTS:- Many more users go to mobile web than apps, but app users go much deeper/longer- Challenge for us is to get a seat at the table with mobile users. Find your sweet spot- More people go to @washingtonpost mobile site than app but engagement much higher on app. 2 different audiences.
- Colgan's definition of mobile: "What you can use to consume and engage without leaving what you're already on.
- Mobile Commons uses crowd sourcing to explore questions like "Are you being gouged" on specific grocery stort items- Using an app was a "huge barrier" for engagement with @wnyc's @thetakeaway's audience; so shifted to SMS/texting- Mapping the Storm Clean-up" bit.ly/nOChbM- What about capitalizing on high adoption rates among minority audiences? @jim_colgan don't overlook classic SMS opportunity
- Mobile is no longer new. "It's the core." Users pay for apps. Looking at branching out to niche apps
- Can small hyperlocals afford to embrace mobile? Panel says: skip apps; wait for HTML5
- HTML5 significant area to keep watching because it disrupts Apple's control over distribution of apps
- New York Times concern right now is not getting an audience...They try to find us
- Concern at NYT is "how do we get an audience to pay for content" on mobile
- Apple's biz model a barrier for NYT's pay model. Apple is "new digital middleman" for publishers
4) JIM BRADY (@jimbradysp editor-in-chief, Journal Register Co.)
- If we only put websites on mobile, as we did w/papers on web, we'll be talking in 15 yrs about missed opportunities
- Serving mobile users well requires bold thinking. Newspaper industry can't drop the ball again.
CNN'S BLUEPRINT FOR SUCCESS- Core values at CNN (last CEO): Innovate, collaborate, execute. Use for recruiting: what do u value.- Do you have the right people in the room, and are they bringing their authentic selves+do you have a process to bring it out?- In general, younger men are the most valuable demographic to advertisers -- hence sports- Multicultural news audience=ad opportunities. Women, esp. black women, are big product evangelizers- Talent looking for in multicultural multiplatform world - enthusiastic, adaptable, full of energy, full of ideas- Motto to live by: "We are what we air"- It is rare that you are doing too much - consumers rarely say you are doing TOO much coverage- Advertisers want to be in news content vs scripted entertainment - where people engage in the transfer of info- CNN's Idea Lab cultivates innovation/diversity of thought with "Free Thinking Friday" sessions.- Special ad group then created to tap multicultural audience/ advertisers. McDonalds bought in early.- Journalists "are every suspicious about marketing." To be effective he avoids using marketing language.- @HLNTV stopped being "Headline News" when audience shifted to web for news. Needed new programs, niche- You need to be relevant as possible in as many ways as possible- Platforms don't matter. Stories do.- Content still drives the audience
FINDING DIVERSE TALENT ON THE BUSINESS SIDEVIRGIL SMITH, VP talent acquisition + diversity @gannett- Greatest challenge in acquiring talent work (esp digital) is working with the hiring manager, getting them to understand diversity & helping the candidates move- People need to be inspired to be the best that they can be- Hispanic #s not what like it to be: imp audience, growing fast, so try to build relationships for recruiting
WHY YOUTH WOULD WANT TO STAY ON THE JOB (IN THIS CASE GANNETT)by Daniel Trach, key account digital sales executive, Enquirer Media Group, Cincinnati & Amber Guyton, multimedia specialist, WXIA TV/WATL TV, Atlanta1) Incubator effect - need a ladder and clear future2) Double O 7 - ownership+opportunity3) Super empowers - are you empowering us? Do you really care about our opinion? Be a mentor+champion!4) Art of entry level - is there an opportunity to excel? Show interest and invest in our future? We want a cheerleader5) Investment and indispensability - we are valuable assets, if we have success, company has success and v/v6) Einsteinology: need the permission to think and think big but also heard and critiqued7) Communication is key, don't be distant. We have a open cube policy!!!8) Working for success NOT JUST money - work hard play hard mentality** A lot of folks in our generation don't fear failure but fear complacency - Guyton** For our generation, we're always hungry for a challenge, always looking for more** At the end of the day, we are the people who sell your ideas, so ask US @Trachstar