- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 07:12:38
- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 07:16:19Is it just me or is BBC always happy to 'dance on the grave' of newspapers? http://bbc.in/KhCszC Going weekly is not the end of print.
- Here's the BBC report which has prompted Peter's question
- — Mike Sassi (@MikeSassi)Sat, May 26 2012 07:23:37
- — paul robertson (@paulrobbo1966)Sat, May 26 2012 07:28:54
- — Owen Jones (@Owenmjones)Sat, May 26 2012 07:32:00@petersands55 I understand why people feel sad at the loss of a daily, but not the perception that journalism stops once it goes weekly
- — Jon Welch (@JonMWelch)Sat, May 26 2012 07:33:20@petersands55 Thanks for RT, Peter. It is a big loss when a long-established evening paper goes weekly, no matter how publishers spin it.
- — paul robertson (@paulrobbo1966)Sat, May 26 2012 07:31:23@petersands55 if local newspapers died it would cause problems for local BBC as that's where they get most of their stories from.
- — john elworthy (@johnelworthy)Sat, May 26 2012 07:36:29
- — Alex Morrison (@journo_alex)Sat, May 26 2012 07:53:28
- — Richard Bowyer (@Sightscreen)Sat, May 26 2012 08:14:01@petersands55 As someone has already said, local BBC wouldn't have any content if local newspapers weren't around...theft of stories, guilty
- — liz gerard (@gameoldgirl)Sat, May 26 2012 08:17:20
- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 08:29:50
- — Paul Wiltshire (@Paulwiltshire)Sat, May 26 2012 08:33:25@petersands55 BBC definitely disproportionately interested in other media's downsizing, but Nick Higham's report at least ends on +ve note
- — Gary Phelps (@tamheraldeditor)Sat, May 26 2012 08:55:33@petersands55 no doubt, which is rich given how thin regional TV news coverage is. The BBC 'Midlands' patch seems to cover half the country.
- — News Mutt (@NewsMutt)Sat, May 26 2012 09:32:42
- Here's an interesting diversion from Ian Read in Tunbridge Wells
- — davidhiggerson (@davidhiggerson)Sat, May 26 2012 14:05:44
- — Jeremy Clifford (@TheStarEditor)Sat, May 26 2012 13:35:56@petersands55 BBC have no understanding of the challenges we face and how good we are at meeting them because of their protected position
- — Jeremy Clifford (@TheStarEditor)Sat, May 26 2012 13:39:59@petersands55 when @northantset announced weekly plan, BBC journalist tweeted come to BBC for daily news. Showed lack of understanding
Does BBC enjoy reporting on decline of local newspapers?
Peter Sands asked the question on a sunny Saturday morning. Newspaper journalists, including current and former editors, tweeted their reply.
byMarc Cooper13 Views