Details about OPEN CINEMA Season 12 Launch featuring JUST EAT IT Nov. 19, 2014:
JUST EAT IT: A Food Waste Story
- In this compelling documentary, filmmakers Jen Rustemeyer and Grant Baldwin dive into the issue of food waste from farm through retail then all the way to the back of their own fridge. After catching a glimpse of the billions of dollars of good food that is thrown away each year in North America, they pledge to survive only on foods that would otherwise be thrown away. Just Eat It brings farmers, retailers, inspiring organizations, and consumers to the table. The film won the #MustSeeBC and Impact Awards at VIFF, Audience Choice at CPH:DOX (Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival, and Best Canadian Feature Film at Planet In Focus.
- Watch the film (online in Canada) at this link:
- Filmmakers Jen Rustemeyer and Grant Baldwin joined us via Twitter and Facebook from Amsterdam, where JUST EAT IT was screening at IDFA. Differences in time zones meant that they kindly fired up their laptops at 4 a.m. to be with us virtually!
- We screened the film in 3 CRD locations - Victoria, Sidney, and Salt Spring Island - and people could watch the film online and participate in the discussion from anywhere in the world via Twitter, Facebook and UStream.
- Watch the live streamed post-screening discussion from Victoria:
- We used the hashtag #JustEatItFilm to facilitate the twitter chat:
- The twitter feed was shown on a large screen before and after the film, so that the live audience could see the conversation going on in the "virtual venue." This is a shot of the big screen:
Read the online engagement: