- Details about our ELECTION DAY IN CANADA event January 28, 2015:
ELECTION DAY IN CANADA: When Voter Suppression Comes Calling
- Peter Smoczynski came to Victoria to preview, and ask support for, his important new film on the worst electoral fraud in Canadian history. Peter showed selected clips from his work-in-progress for discussion purposes.
- ELECTION DAY IN CANADA examines the dramatic rise of voter suppression in Canada during the 2011 Federal Election, the aftermath to the present day Fair Elections Act. Here is a video preview of the film he is creating:
- This event was unique in that we normally screen completed films, but as election fraud is a timely issue we couldn't wait for this important documentary to be completed. We were delighted that Peter Smoczynski traveled to Victoria to share his documentary work-in-progress with us, and the world!
- Help fund the completion of the documentary:
- Three pop-up events (that we know of) gathered people together to watch remotely: University of Victoria's Political Science department, Cortes Island Literacy, and Grande Prairie Regional College. Participants at these venues watched the webcast on a large screen and communicated with the rest of us via Twitter and Facebook (see the online engagement, below).
- The evening began with opening remarks by Mandy Leith, Leslie Campbell, Sebastian Silva, and a pre-recorded message from MP Elizabeth May:
- With the help of our event partner FOCUS Magazine we sold out the Victoria Event Centre venue 3 weeks before the event!
- We used the hashtag #ElxnFraud to facilitate the Twitter Chat: