- — Mallary Tenore (@mallarytenore)Mon, Dec 03 2012 20:41:45Preparing a presentation for college students about pursuing a career in journalism. Anything you think I should be sure to tell them?
- Advice on being innovative, entrepreneurial:
- — Lizzy Alfs (@lizzyalfs)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:21:50@mallarytenore Yes: Actually, despite what people say, there IS plenty of opportunity, especially when you're young, inexpensive and digital
- — Zach Crizer (@zcrizer)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:23:09@mallarytenore Learn to be more than a cog in a big machine. Helping build or guide a journalism org will be key to future in the industry
- — hungrymarshall (@hungrymarshall)Mon, Dec 03 2012 20:42:35@mallarytenore Have as many tools in the toolbox as possible: reporting, writing, social media, video, work ethic. great attitude.
- — Jerry Casey (@jjeremiahcasey)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:19:37
- — Tom Brew (@tombrewsports)Mon, Dec 03 2012 20:45:22
- — Laura J. Nelson (@laura_nelson)Mon, Dec 03 2012 21:09:56@mallarytenore Learn everything, but be wary of becoming a jack of all trades and a master of none. Whatever you want to do, do that best.
- — Aaron Edwards (@aaronmedwards)Mon, Dec 03 2012 21:17:02@mallarytenore Identify people you want to work with above organizations. News orgs are nothing but names without people behind them.
- — Mary Morgan (@MaryA2Chronicle)Mon, Dec 03 2012 22:46:34@mallarytenore Learn to understand the business side, even if that's not your focus. Embrace your inner entrepreneur.
- Advice on using social media:
- — Steve Outing (@steveouting)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:16:42@mallarytenore Develop a strong social-media presence. (Amazing how many don't get why that's important for their careers.)
- — Steve Outing (@steveouting)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:47:03
- Advice on programming:
- — Craig Pittman (@craigtimes)Mon, Dec 03 2012 23:17:59@mallarytenore Tell them to 1) learn to do spreadsheets; 2) learn some programming; 3) learn to talk to people different from themselves.
How young journalists can make themselves marketable
Advice on pursuing a career in journalism.
byMallary Tenore 4 Likes72,395 Views