- It started with Virginia Kuhn.
Peter Monaghan, "Digital Dissertation Dust-up," Chronicle of Higher Education, April 28, 2006
- Chris Boese's 1998 born-digital doctoral dissertation, the first, was a hypertext work on the online fan culture of "Xena: Warrior Princess," which was submitted to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1998.
- In 2006, Chris Boese discussed her thesis in the comments below this blog post:
- Excerpts here:
- Still this century's first, back to Kuhn.
- THE #DIGIDISS CONFERENCE: BULDING AN OPEN-SOURCE DEPOSITORY FOR BORN-DIGITAL DISSERTATIONS
- The Inception
- The Workshop, Day One
- Ideas and Issues