- This is something that I have seen/come up against in casual conversations about games before when an entire game is judged solely by it's mechanics and nothing further.
- — New Shores Burn (@AustinCHowe)Mon, Jan 05 2015 02:51:57New word: "ludocentrism" used to describe games criticism overly focused on mechanics and systems over narratives or abstracts
- — Stephen Beirne (@stbeirne)Tue, Jan 06 2015 21:22:49A problem I'm identifying in games crit is the disproportionate valuing of ludic components parallel to a minimizing of non-ludic parts.
- — Stephen Beirne (@stbeirne)Tue, Jan 06 2015 21:23:31It's *not* that there is a methodology of analysing games that centres on ludic analysis over narrative or compositional criticism.
- — Stephen Beirne (@stbeirne)Tue, Jan 06 2015 21:26:14The problem isn't in the methodology, it's in the wild and bizarre devaluing of vital components of a medium inherent to how we perceive it.
- — dire dire deer (@m_kopas)Fri, Jan 02 2015 00:05:26i've criticized folx who ignore mechanics as having a shallow approach, but the obsession with form becomes its own kind of shallowness
- — Beenjamin (@10rdBen)Sat, Jan 03 2015 14:01:13This is the kind of garbage we end up with when we essentialise games to just “mechanics” http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964300 …
- — Brendan Keogh (@BRKeogh)Sun, Jan 04 2015 23:23:54@10rdBen BREAKING: videogames are a media form we look at with eyeballs and listen to with ears and maybe these things are important idk
- — Lana Polansky (@mechapoetic)Mon, Jan 05 2015 02:54:42@Fengxii i'm about to write an, i guess, polemic that non-play elements of a game are as much a part as the "play" elements
- — New Shores Burn (@AustinCHowe)Mon, Jan 05 2015 02:59:18
- — New Shores Burn (@AustinCHowe)Mon, Jan 05 2015 03:00:08
- — Lana Polansky (@mechapoetic)Mon, Jan 05 2015 03:07:06
- — Lana Polansky (@mechapoetic)Mon, Jan 05 2015 03:07:30
- — Death Chamber (@Fengxii)Mon, Jan 05 2015 03:12:40Trust me, y'all: "mechanics" "systems" is bunch of black-box hot air. No one really knows what they mean when they throw those words around
Ludocentrism or Ludo-Fundamentalism in Games Crit
Building a vocabulary around games criticism and thoughts surrounding it
byLandon S3 Likes6,829 Views