- — Anna St.Onge (@deantiquate)Thu, May 25 2017 10:33:27I have thoughts about this practice but mostly I think it would have been reasonable to try to get a comment from... http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/government-records-archives-history-1.4129935 …
- — Anna St.Onge (@deantiquate)Thu, May 25 2017 10:35:47...units and archivists at LAC that are/were responsible for working with these govt depts. Also, maybe consider impact of staffing cuts...
- — Anna St.Onge (@deantiquate)Thu, May 25 2017 10:49:14@pipingloud Well it starts out as an issue of understaffing but it festers and becomes sinister over time through apathy.
- — April Miller (@AprilArchivist)Thu, May 25 2017 10:49:39@deantiquate There's a rash of news about records/archives/archivists lately that characterize as mystic or nefarious. So sick of it! 1/2
- — April Miller (@AprilArchivist)Thu, May 25 2017 10:53:57@deantiquate So many issues as play: business need; disposition authorities; appraisal; $; etc. Are historians the actual hoarders? 2/2
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 12:46:30Setting aside the absurd framing of chronic under-funding & devaluation of RM as a 'secret archives' conspiracy.. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/government-records-archives-history-1.4129935 …
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 12:49:27To suggest this situation is an active effort to hide things rather than a symptom of endlessly poor funding and staffing is just so off.
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 12:54:44You need money. And retention schedules. And MOUs. And people. And literally any support from the governing party. LAC has had none of that.
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 12:59:44It's actually a blessing that departments even still have millions of records sitting around and that we know where they are.
- — Elizabeth Jane (@archivistjane)Thu, May 25 2017 13:03:11Catchy headline but this is an RM/funding issue Government accused of hoarding Canadian history in 'secret' archives http://www.cbc.ca/1.4129935
- — Shamin Malmas (@ShaminMalmas)Thu, May 25 2017 13:21:22@archivistjane 100% agree this happens all top frequently because of poor RM funding and lack of understanding of the relationship b/w RM and archives
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 13:49:16@Thescitizen I don't disagree that these records should be at LAC and should be 'accessible', but the work & $$ that goes into that is astronomical.
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 13:50:18@Thescitizen You are seeking files based on a specific theme and topic. Most archives are lucky to be able to list file titles, full stop.
- — Dnll Rbchd (@danielleganza)Thu, May 25 2017 14:08:13@Thescitizen Item level description or keyword access isn't the norm in archives and even less so with this volume of records.
- — Mayne Gauche (@Bibliocracy)Thu, May 25 2017 16:46:10Please remember: incompetence and lack of resources are always more likely, and perhaps ultimately more damning, than actual malice
Archival Twitter Response to Secret Archives
byKrista Mccracken52 Views