- — Robert Centor (@medrants)Mon, Dec 16 2013 01:50:01Antibiotic IV Combo Tied to Kidney Injury http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASHP/43442 … Vanc & Pip-Tazo - should we consider a different staph drug?
- I should have retweeted it or gave Centor a hat tip (h/t) but I didn't. (Do as I say not as I do.) I recrafted his tweet as so:
- — Joel Topf (@kidney_boy)Mon, Dec 16 2013 01:56:43Vanco+Zosyn=AKI in 20% Vanco alone was safe What do you think real or single center, no peer review bull sh*t? http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASHP/43442 …
- Everyone had the same initial gut reaction. These patients are sicker and more prone to AKI. No cause and effect, just association.
- — David Juurlink (@DavidJuurlink)Mon, Dec 16 2013 02:22:41@kidney_boy Doubt cause-and-effect. Patients on vanco + pip/tazo generally sicker than those on either alone. More AKI on that basis.
- Better than a trip to the Hospital Library, our informal expert panel gathered the appropriate background material
- — Brent Reed (@brentnreed)Mon, Dec 16 2013 02:20:46
- — Edgar V. Lerma (@edgarvlermamd)Mon, Dec 16 2013 03:01:11@kidney_boy Check this http://m.idse.net/Article.aspx?d=Bacterial+Infections+/+MRSA&d_id=211&i=June+2012&i_id=856&a_id=20993 … Interestingly, our PharmD made a similar observation re: Vanco/ Pip-Tazo
- — Bryan D. Hayes (@PharmERToxGuy)Mon, Dec 16 2013 13:08:09
- — Kenar Jhaveri (@kdjhaveri)Mon, Dec 16 2013 11:48:15@kidney_boy I have biopsied a few on solo vanco- it looks like toxic ATN with vacuolization. The trough levels are higher nowadays
- — Susan Davis (@IDPharmProf)Mon, Dec 16 2013 19:43:26
- — Susan Davis (@IDPharmProf)Mon, Dec 16 2013 19:45:00#VancTazo 2/5 The SCCM abstracts were well summarized by @PharmPracNews http://www.pharmacypracticenews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ses=ogst&d=Clinical&d_id=50&i=ISSUE%3A+June+2012&i_id=853&a_id=20974 …
- — Susan Davis (@IDPharmProf)Mon, Dec 16 2013 19:45:493/5 Since then, AKI with #vanctazo common topic of list servs & pharm resident projects. But res proj abstracts rarely contain results
- — Susan Davis (@IDPharmProf)Mon, Dec 16 2013 19:48:074/5 Recent #VancTazo study: retro cohort vs vancopime, no assn w AKI, small vancopime N meant they couldn’t control for much. PMID:24118354
- — Susan Davis (@IDPharmProf)Mon, Dec 16 2013 19:50:28
- I wanted to find the answer to this. I have been seeing more vanco toxicity and I this abstract made me wonder if a second hit was responsible?
- I wasn't the only one seeing more vanco associated AKI
PipTazo and Vanco. Renal Toxin or Victim of Circumstance
It all started when I saw this cross my Twitter time line
byJoel Topf3,283 Views