- I'm in the "just say no" contingent. I've seen analysis of why Comcast would want the merger but no one (yet) arguing that it's good for consumers.
- — A.J. Bayatpour (@AJBayatpour)Thu, Feb 13 2014 11:51:18Comcast announces the Time Warner deal: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/time-warner-cable-to-merge-with-comcast-corporation …
- — Shalini Ramachandran (@ShaliniWSJ)Thu, Feb 13 2014 05:27:00
A few pointed observations:
- — Zeynep Tufekci (@zeynep)Thu, Feb 13 2014 03:05:48There's competition? I had no choice. RT @marcoarment: Just what we need: less competition in U.S. broadband. https://twitter.com/davidfaber/status/433794078044852225 …
- — Brian Stelter (@brianstelter)Thu, Feb 13 2014 03:36:31...Timely example: David Cohen, Comcast's head of lobbying, corporate communications, etc was a guest at the WH state dinner last night.
- — DAVID FABER (@davidfaber)Thu, Feb 13 2014 02:54:47Comcast deal for $TWC does not face ownership cap restrictions, but sure to get tough review from FCC.$CMCSA wants to avoid consent decree.
- — Robert Cruickshank (@cruickshank)Thu, Feb 13 2014 04:25:17Whether or not Comcast-Time Warner merger is allowed, it's time for cities like Seattle to move aggressively on publicly owned broadband.
- — Daniel Snowe (@dannyboi965)Thu, Feb 13 2014 12:43:21Coincidence the cable industry tried to ram an anti-google fiber bill through Kansas a week before a Comcast/Time Warner merger announced?
The reaction on Twitter: not jumping for joy.
- — Joseph Scrimshaw (@JosephScrimshaw)Thu, Feb 13 2014 03:41:51Comcast and Time Warner. Two horrible disasters merging. This is like a crappy SyFy channel movie but real.
- — Sam Bailey (@entropymedia)Thu, Feb 13 2014 02:52:24Two cable companies to combine into a single black hole of pure evil https://twitter.com/davidfaber/status/433794078044852225 …
- — Chris Kluwe (@ChrisWarcraft)Thu, Feb 13 2014 03:46:23I'm sure that the recent removal of Net Neutrality and the acquisition of Time Warner Cable by Comcast is super healthy for the Internet.
- — Paul Kedrosky (@pkedrosky)Thu, Feb 13 2014 05:13:10I want Comcast to own my cable company about as bad as I want Time-Warner to be my cable company. Wait, TWC is. I’m so screwed.
Why this shouldn't happen:
- — Public Knowledge (@publicknowledge)Thu, Feb 13 2014 04:49:50Public Knowledge Official Statement on Comcast / Time Warner Cable Merger http://www.publicknowledge.org/public-knowledge-statement-comcast-time-warner-cab …
- — Timothy B. Lee (@binarybits)Thu, Feb 13 2014 12:56:50I'll write about the Comcast merger, but this essay I wrote in 2012 is basically the case against it. http://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/keeping-the-internet-competitive … Cc @pegobry
Comcast and Time Warner Cable: Nope
Comcast confirmed this morning that it wants to buy (merge with) Time Warner Cable. Analysis has been light, but expect that to change throughout the day.
byKathy E Gill1 Like350 Views