- On twitter, the reaction to Paikin's announcement ran the political rhetorical gamut, from those who seemed genuinely sorry to see him go...
- — Matt Hopkins (@RealMattHopkins)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:17:12
- ... while others questioned the means and motivation behind his decision, and what it may or may not mean for the Liberal Party:
- — Rob Wolvin (@Gladaman)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:54:30@zpaikin I don't think public declaration is helpful to essential cause of unseating CPC. I can however accept your declaration as sincere.
- — Ryan Wright (@WrightRyan)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:37:43@zpaikin Life at 22 is so easy when the world still appears to be in black or white. With age comes wisdom and shades of grey.
- — hornblower (@Indefatigabl_)Mon, Mar 17 2014 18:50:24It seems odd to mock Zack Paikin and bemoan the lack of youth involvement in politics at the same time. Youth is young & sometimes awkward.
- — Bill Brasky (@Polkameister)Mon, Mar 17 2014 20:22:56Zach Paikin shows reason why youth don't run for office - they expect when a leader says "open" nominations they actually mean it #cdnpoli
- — Steve V (@FarAndWide)Mon, Mar 17 2014 18:55:40My take is many started to realize Z Paikin is a trainwreck, Ukraine comments caused more concern, he's pivoting to save face. NO appetite.
- — Gareth Neilson (@GarethNeilson80)Mon, Mar 17 2014 20:05:12Zach Paikin & Justin Trudeau have much in common. If both of them had the last name Smith,no one would have heard of either of them #cdnpoli
- Indeed, New Democrat supporters were particularly swift to trumpet the loss of a 'star candidate':
- — Karl Bélanger (@KarlBelanger)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:03:41#LPC lose star candidate Paikin because Innes' candidacy in Trinity-Spadina was blocked by Trudeau - despite his open nominations promise.
- — Karl Bélanger (@KarlBelanger)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:29:55Garneau on Paikin: "He has always been a stalwart supporter of diversity and defender of big ideas. I know that he'll be a phenomenal MP."
- — Ian Gillespie (@IanRGillespie)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:55:58It's incl in the open nomination lie. Zach Paikin may be irrelevant, but Trudeau betraying his promises of change is a real story. @awudrick
- — Jacqui4NDP (@jacquigingras)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:34:33Zac Paikin being accused of rash behaviour b/c he is young? Missing the point! @zpaikin makes his case clearly in his letter.
- — David DesBaillets (@DDesBaillets)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:27:19
- — Steven Lee (@Orange_Tory)Mon, Mar 17 2014 19:52:11I have great sympathy for Zach Paikin, principally because I could imagine a similar fate for myself and how unpleasant that would be.
Paikin out: The twitterverse reacts
bykady o'malley51,100 Views