- Yesterday afternoon, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau tweeted out an invite to 'Justin Unplugged,' a $250 per person event for 'ladies' featuring 'cocktails, candid conversation and curiosity-inducing ideas.'
- — Justin Trudeau, MP (@JustinTrudeau)Wed, Nov 06 2013 13:25:01
- Reaction, as they say, was swift:
- — Kathryn Marshall (@KVMarshall)Wed, Nov 06 2013 19:29:31
- — Charles Demers (@charliedemers)Thu, Nov 07 2013 02:15:21"Justin Unplugged" to be catered by the country's premier just-yogurt-and-salad catering company. Ladies love yogurt and salad!
- Perhaps unsurprisingly, Conservative MP Michelle Rempel and New Democrat Megan Leslie were united in eye-rolling the poster -- and, indeed, the event itself:
- — Megan Leslie, MP (@MeganLeslieMP)Thu, Nov 07 2013 03:36:19+1 MT @MichelleRempel: What's the biggest issue facing women? This kind of crap. #allissuesarewomensissues https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYbpRDxCMAACc7E.jpg:large …
- — Michelle Rempel (@MichelleRempel)Wed, Nov 06 2013 19:09:35I don't agree with their politics, but JT has some #badass women in his caucus. They must want to....well, I can't imagine.
- — Michelle Rempel (@MichelleRempel)Wed, Nov 06 2013 20:00:54Silver lining: women of all political stripes agreeing to fight something that's, well, crazy. Cc @LisaKirbie
- Rempel even took her outrage to the House of Commons Foyer, where she joined Canadian Heritage Minister Shelly Glover for a quick pre-QP scrum on the event.
Inside the Chamber, the 'ladies only' event inspired a withering members' statement from New Democrat MP Niki Ashton.
- — Laura Payton (@laura_payton)Thu, Nov 07 2013 11:18:27
- Meanwhile, as is so often the case on twitter, the initial shocked disbelief and outrage gave way to some pretty hilarious -- if largely partisan -- commentary, particularly on the #askjustin hashtag.
- — theSomethingOrOther (@thebgardiner)Wed, Nov 06 2013 21:00:42Ladies, Justin Trudeau will pour you a Martini, rub your feet, and explain how politics work using analogies from "The Notebook". #askJustin
- — Lindsay Duncan (@LindsayInMotion)Thu, Nov 07 2013 04:42:02