- I asked Twitter users what they thought:
- — Jonathan Haynes (@JonathanHaynes)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:18:46OK, I'm going to write about why the BBC and Sky News are wrong about Twitter … anyone want to shout with their two cents worth? #opennews
- — Claire Phipps (@Claire_Phipps)Wed, Feb 01 2012 22:25:08
- — ben goldacre (@bengoldacre)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:18:46
- — Sara Barnard (@saramegan)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:19:46@JonathanHaynes Social media is a conversation. The BBC and Sky News think they can somehow monopolise the conversation. They can't.
- — Nick Lawrence (@_Nick_Lawrence)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:20:05@JonathanHaynes BBC rules aren't draconian... new IT system in place means stuff can happen virtually simultaneously anyhow
- — Jonathan Cresswell (@JonathanEx)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:21:09@JonathanHaynes If the problem is news orgs feel 'behind' to live Twitter feeds, the problem is in their platforms - not Twitter.
- — matt prodger (@MattProdger)Wed, Feb 08 2012 18:25:01@JonathanHaynes BBC guidelines incomparable to Sky's new draconian ones. Just say inform newsdesk so broadcast media have copy.
- — Chris Hamilton (@chrishams)Wed, Feb 08 2012 21:41:04@JonathanHaynes We're not saying BBC journalists can't break stories on Twitter. More here http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/14562397 …co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/14562397
- My piece went on the site:
- — Richard Glyn (@rickglyn)Thu, Feb 09 2012 13:01:29
- — AndrewW (@AndrewW54)Wed, Feb 01 2012 22:25:08@JonathanHaynes Good words, because of twitter I now buy the Guardian more often.Same goes for the NS and my respect for the SkyNews guys.
- — Andrew Stuart (@AndrewStuart)Thu, Feb 09 2012 13:23:36@JonathanHaynes It's a shame they brought these 'rules' in. Journos understand Twitter, and newsdesks can pick up lines quickly from it.
Are Sky News and the BBC wrong about Twitter? - what you think
I wrote a piece about Sky News and the BBC updating their social media guidelines and asked my Twitter followers what they thought. Here are some of the replies before and after I wrote the piece.
byJonathan Haynes928 Views