- This same need is often seen in the adults as well. They also expect the holiday season to provide them with transformational love in terms of craving more and overwhelming feelings. In the same manner, it is important to understand that children grapple with controlling their urges and cravings to fulfill them or make up for the love they don’t get. For instance, some crave ride on toy car and so on and so forth. It is also one of the explanations of their behavior or reliance on materialistic things. However, if you provide the children with an opportunity to connect with parents and spend the energy on creative or meaningful activities, children tend to response very well to those patterns. In addition, latest research revealed that the more material possession you have, the less value you will give to them. This would not only make you but your kids ungrateful in the long term. Therefore, if you want your children to be grateful and you want to fill their emptiness with meaningful gestures, following are the steps you can do to raise good children.
- Emphasize on “Presence” than “Presents”
If your children insist on spending time with you, give them importance rather than filling their room with material possessions. For example, if you are in the middle of doing some house chore, take a break from it for a while in order to give assurance to your children that you value them over anything and that they can count on you. Similarly, if you plan the family get together or games, it would also give you plenty of time to bond with children.
- Expectations Level
If you want to teach your children to limit their expectation level in terms of getting present, you can tell them to shortlist three best gift ideas rather than demanding anything you like, as the main purpose is to train them to respect limits and control the desires in order to become better individuals and children.
- Celebrate Love
If you and your children have busy schedules, you can make an effort to organize one family activity every day to provide more opportunities for improving your family connection in terms of talking through things and getting to know each other and handling the challenges one encounters on the daily basis. For instance, you can wash dishes with your children, set the table up for dinner.
- Family Values and Holidays
If you deliberately make plans to break your daily routine pattern and go out with your family on vacations to connect with each other, you will get a myriad of chances to inculcate family values into the thought process of your children. However, if your children are already good at practicing those values, maybe you can remind them the significance of those principles in form of interesting activities rather than lecturing them about it. For example, baking is one of the fun activities that would help the children to learn about team building and working with other individuals in addition to being kind to them.
- Fill your Children with Good Experiences
If you want to make your family vacation one of the best times, it does not necessarily mean that you will have to spend huge sums of money. For example, if you want to give a gift to them that would be cherished, you could make a nice photo collage of one the best trips and nicely wrap it with your hands to give it special personalized touch. Similarly, if your children like your hand made cake or cookies, you can bake those to make their birthday special. In addition to making lovely memories, you can hang those best times frame on one of the walls to remind the children of the time spent with family members.
Mostly people tend to underestimate the significance of humor in our lives. For example, if you find yourself in a situation, which requires you to get angry or threaten your emotional state, you can choose to use humor to convey your message or politely tell your children about the mistakes or misbehavior. As scolding or getting angry at children only makes them more stubborn in most cases, however, if you use humor, they will get the message in a more impactful way. The main logic is to make your children understand the importance of rules and limits in a manner that would be easy for them. In addition, the overall environment of the house will be preserved rather than forcing your children or without explaining them the consequences of the mistakes in the traditional parenting styles. Also, you give your children with a skill for life in terms of handling difficult situations with a smile on the face or in a smart way.
- Start Your Day with Good Things
If you want to stay in a good mood, experts suggest that you start your day early and focus on the things that will boost your mood. For example, if you are a morning person and you like having good breakfast, you can prepare one with the help of your children a healthy option and have it together rather than rushing through it. Similarly, if you struggle with maintaining good patterns of sleep, you can attempt to go early to bed and same rule goes for your children because if you sleep early, you would be able to wake up early and you will have extra time to catch up with your children as well. The main purpose is to enjoy being with each other in addition to staying in charge of your emotional state. In addition, if you have set a good example for your children in form of maintaining stable sentimental state, they will also adopt your habits in that regard.