- This was our first tweet from @Poynter:
- What followed was a lot of criticism. Many people argued that the AP guidelines suggest a using a confusing style that puts the "RT" at the very beginning, separated from the username. Like this:
RT Jones campaign now denouncing smith on education: @jonescampaign smith’s policies would destroy our schools
- — Alex Howard (@digiphile)Thu, Nov 03 2011 16:55:08
- — Mark Athitakis (@mathitak)Thu, Nov 03 2011 18:34:21Setting aside whether the AP's new Twitter guidelines are dumb or not, who places the "RT" where the AP suggests? http://bit.ly/t1vp0n
- AP's Standards Editor Tom Kent did respond to that on Twitter, saying he was OK with doing retweets the other way.
- Others implied that the new guidelines were too restrictive.
- — Todd the Rocket (@toddtherocket)Thu, Nov 03 2011 18:31:59
- AP spokesman Paul Colford said the agency doesn't prohibit retweeting opinions, it just wants its journalists to be clear about attributing the opinion to the source.
- — Paul Colford (@PDColford_AP)Thu, Nov 03 2011 19:41:37@carr2n David, RE yours: "AP to staff: Don't retweet anything with an opinion." Not true. New RT guideline gives ways to do just that.
- And a few people decided to follow the spirit of the guidelines in their own retweets:
- — Tom Haines (@twhaines)Thu, Nov 03 2011 18:02:57I am sharing this with absolutely no concern with whether or not you think I'm endorsing the AP policy. :) http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/152016/ap-issues-staff-guidelines-on-retweets-no-personal-opinions-allowed-or-implied/#.TrLXNvcvrAw.twitter … via @addthis
- — Emmarie Huetteman (@ehuetteman)Thu, Nov 03 2011 18:11:58
- — John Schwartz -- NYT (@jswatz)Thu, Nov 03 2011 18:41:19I pass this link along without expressing an opinion one way or another: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/152016/ap-issues-staff-guidelines-on-retweets-no-personal-opinions-allowed-or-implied/ …
- — michaelscherer (@michaelscherer)Thu, Nov 03 2011 19:17:44
Reaction to AP retweet guidelines
byJeff Sonderman18,141 Views