- — Jason Clampet (@jasonclampet)Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:58:52Laziest guidebook hit piece ever by @mcmoynihan @ForeignPolicy: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/13/leftist_planet …licy.com/articles/2012/08/13/leftist_planet. B/c picking up phone for 1 interview is way too hard
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Wed, Aug 15 2012 15:16:40@jasonclampet What a dumb (and lazy) thing to say. Why would I "pick up the phone" when looking at the political content of guides?
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Wed, Aug 15 2012 15:24:08@jasonclampet Do you know the difference between a reported piece and opinion piece? And what in the piece do you object to?
- — Jason Clampet (@jasonclampet)Wed, Aug 15 2012 15:42:26@mcmoynihan Your point was obscured by your ignorance of how g-books are made. 5 mins w/ Wheeler would've meant you at least tried. Sloppy.
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Wed, Aug 15 2012 21:19:38@jasonclampet So again: what are your complaints about the piece? Either you praise the Cuban dictatorship (for instance) or you don't.
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Wed, Aug 15 2012 21:21:21@jasonclampet You say it is sloppy, ignorant. and lazy without specifics. Because I didn't talk to Wheeler about his idiotic guide on Cuba?
- — Jason Clampet (@jasonclampet)Thu, Aug 16 2012 03:59:14@mcmoynihan Telling you to talk to just one person at a publication you're trashing is specific, right? Opinions don't exist in a vacuum
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Thu, Aug 16 2012 04:02:23@jasonclampet Huh? I addressed specific statements in books. Should I call the publisher when I do book reviews? Idiotic complaint.
- — Jason Clampet (@jasonclampet)Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:31:25@mcmoynihan No, but that's because book reviews are done by people w/ expertise in their field. But maybe the bar is lower where you work.
- Moynihan's Twitter account is now protected. I'd reach out to him for a quote about why, but if I've learned anything from him it's that asking a subject you're criticizing for an interview is for losers.
- — Michael C Moynihan (@mcmoynihan)Thu, Aug 16 2012 15:56:27@RichardTrillo My true colors: I asked for specifics, I got sarcasm, insults, and invective. I responded in kind. End of "debate."
- Turns out I was wrong. He just blocked me from reading his tweets.
The lonliest planet
There's a great story to be written about the politics of guidebooks, but this isn't it. I suggested the writer work a bit harder next time. He didn't agree.
byJason Clampet149 Views