- — UNC Superfund (@UNC_SRP)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:35:28How to communicate uncertainty in the brevity that online communication requires. Is it a trust or language issue? #sciouncertainty
- — Keegan Sawyer (@drkeegansawyer)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:33:29
- — Keegan Sawyer (@drkeegansawyer)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:35:39"people do not like uncertainty" you wouldn't keep going to an MD who can't give you a diagnosis. #scioUncertainty
- — Denis DuBay (@denisdubay)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:38:45#sciouncertainty "I don't know." is not an answer nonscientists like, but it's never that simple... Eg., probabilities in weather
- — Dana Smith (@SmithDanaG)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:38:54Theme throughout the conference: put things (uncertainty) into words the audience can understand. Metaphors work wonders! #sciouncertainty
- — Kacey Deamer (@KaceyDeamer)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:40:21
- — pascallapointe (@paslap)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:40:40Difficulté à communiquer l’incertitude = pas juste probl. de sci comm Vs allez chez le Dr, vs voulez des réponses claires #ScioUncertainty
- — Akshat Rathi (@AkshatRathi)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:43:20
- — Dana Smith (@SmithDanaG)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:43:30What are the interesting unknowns to be solved? Scientists aren't baffled they're trying to figure out a really hard thing #sciouncertainty
- — Mindy Weisberger (@LaMinda)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:48:14
- — pascallapointe (@paslap)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:49:32#ScioUncertainty P-etre qu'un probl. de la comm est d'écrire "science proved X" alors qu'on devrait + souvent dire "science disproved X"
- — Keegan Sawyer (@drkeegansawyer)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:51:32Great question: when you're trying to explain #scioUncertainty, "are people even listening?" Are you reaching the right folks?
- — Denis DuBay (@denisdubay)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:52:16#sciouncertainty educating about science's inherent uncertainty may be the only antidote to the easy success of disinformation campaigns
- — David Manly (@davidmanly)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:52:20How can you make uncertainty interesting if someone isn't that involved in science in an article or blog post? #scioUncertainty
- — NR_Kelly Poe (@kelly_poe)Sat, Mar 01 2014 15:53:20
Communicating Uncertainty in Science Writing - #scioUncertainty
This Science Online session was facilitated by Caitlyn McCrary (@CaitlynMcCrary) and discussed how to communicate issues of scientific uncertainty to a broad and diverse readership.
byJalees Rehman380 Views