- “A lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on,” London preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon said in 1855, well before the invention of the Internet.
A case in point just popped up.
- * Do not miss the update at the bottom of this.
- GOP presidential frontrunner Donald Trump tweeted at 2:28 pm ET today:
- What was the quote? Trump provided a link to a tweet stating the following:
- It should be noted: that 12:21 pm ET tweet is from Dan Scavino, the Trump campaign’s director of social media.
- Here’s where it gets shaky. Scavino provided a link to THIS story on a liberal website “ForwardProgressives” from October 18, 2015.
- In that story, Allen Clifton, a progressive writer pens the following: “I’ve made no secret of my total disdain for Sen. Ted Cruz. He epitomizes everything that’s wrong with the Republicanparty. He is, without a doubt, one of the most dishonest people in Washingtonand, in my opinion, a complete sociopath.”
THIS is where the“one of the most dishonest people in DC” quote comes from – not from former Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.
- Coburn never says what Scavino clearly suggested he said. FWIW, at 12:50 pm I tweeted that to Scavino. Perhaps he didn't see my tweet.
- Let us now, just for kicks, see where this all originated.
The liberal writer quotes former Sen. Tom Coburn and links to a story in the Dallas MorningNews from October 16, 2015:
- The Dallas Morning News had taken the quotes from BuzzFeed from October 15, 2015:
- BuzzFeed took itfrom Coburn in an interview with Pete Dominick on Sirius XM talking about the“Cruz Effect” … in which Coburn criticized Cruz for “creat(ing) greaterdisappointment in the hinterlands” in terms of pledging to stop Obamacare, etc,etc., “because you gave them a false hope, knowing that you couldn’t accomplishit, but it was about yelling, and screaming, and waving the flag.”
- At no point during any of this did Coburn say that about Cruz. What's extra interesting about this is that the quote was assailing Cruz's honesty.
- * Please note that before the end of the day both Trump and Scavino had deleted their tweets.