- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:00:26
- And we're off! Cool, had no idea what the topic would be going in, can always use some ELL strategies!
- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:05:25Q1. How do you work with ELLs in your class? What strategies have worked well with ELL students? Pls Share examples #21stedchat
- — Chris Lewis (@chrislewis_10)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:12:09A1: I use tons of sentence frames 2 scaffold writing/speaking. Some think templates r formulaic, but the right ones r engaging. #21stedchat
- Ahhhh, already a much nicer pace then my first chat. Feels like I have a chance to read and comprehend a little bit this time :)
- — Mike Eiben (@eibenteaching)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:14:47A1 Hi all! Mike here from CSUSM in San Diego, CA. Graphic organizers, word walls, and foldables work really well for my ELL's #21stedchat
- Yay! Mike has joined the room. #csusminthehouse
- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:14:35Q2. What resources do you like for working with ELL students? Sites, Articles, Books, People etc #21stedchat
- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:17:00A2. @Larryferlazzo is an awesome person to follow along with his blog #21stedchat http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/larry-ferlazzos-english-website …
- — Chris Lewis (@chrislewis_10)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:17:16
- — Mike Eiben (@eibenteaching)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:20:45A2: Echevarria, Vogt, & Short, 2000; 2004; 2008. I made a Google sheet with SIOP strategies: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t-tPWQi-sTmpYqcV0km0O_8g7XmdDS_lGKT9pjAdKdU/edit?usp=sharing … #21stedchat
- Excellent resources shared in Q2! Time to Diigo these ASAP.
- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:30:08Some of you have started answering this....Q3b. What are the most beneficial modifications for ELL students? #21stedchat
- — Yau-Jau Ku (@yaujauku)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:37:08
- I am sooooo interested in learning more about gamification (and also a bit confused about what it is exactly). I'd love to see this in action in a classroom!
- — Jill Thompson (@Edu_Thompson)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:35:21Q4. Should ELL students be held to the same testing students as regular education students after 2 years? #21stedchat
- — Dana Willson (@WillsonScience)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:38:40
- — Mike Eiben (@eibenteaching)Mon, Apr 13 2015 00:45:09A4: In the world of mathematics, all students struggle with academic vocabulary; it is a language in and of itself! #21stedchat
- Was a little confused by this question (Q4, the way it was worded). Still sort of wondering if she means standardized tests, or class tests, or any test; and also what she means by "after 2 years" (related to a certain CELDT score? - ex: 2 years after a CELDT score 1?). I should have asked for clarification but was feeling shy.
Twitter Chat 2 #21stedchat
Sundays at 5pm PST. Variety of topics weekly.