- — Helen Lewis-Hasteley (@helenlewis)Thu, Nov 03 2011 12:53:08"You should have your tongue ripped out": the reality of sexist abuse online. http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/helen-lewis-hasteley/2011/11/comments-rape-abuse-women …
- — Helen Lewis-Hasteley (@helenlewis)Thu, Nov 03 2011 12:57:39After putting together that blog, it seems like the rape threat is the favoured weapon of today's internet misogynist.
- — Helen Lewis-Hasteley (@helenlewis)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:03:16I know lots of people think we "shouldn't feed the trolls" but I'm personally tired of pretending this isn't a problem.
- — Helen Lewis-Hasteley (@helenlewis)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:03:59I can imagine a whole generation of female writers/activists giving up because they can't face the abuse they get online.
- — India Knight (@indiaknight)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:23:09@helenlewis Never on here and I don't read the comments on Times website. Will start when name, address, photograph. But ++
- — Helen Lewis-Hasteley (@helenlewis)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:26:49@indiaknight My worry is that it has a chilling effect on the grassroots - tomorrow's female columnists, politicians, activists.
- — India Knight (@indiaknight)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:30:56@helenlewis Absolutely. I'd have lasted three minutes with that kind of abuse, on basis nothing is worth that & life too short.
- — princesstoffeee (@)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:21:37@helenlewis As the anon contributor said, those of us who're starting out are just incredibly careful about what we say & how we say it
- — Stuart Bramley (@stuafcb)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:20:22@helenlewis interesting piece. I've been writing online in various ways since 1994 and have only ever had one serious incident of abuse.
- — Ellie Mae O'Hagan (@MissEllieMae)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:42:37I'm genuinely surprised by the shocked response to @helenlewis's piece from male tweeters. I thought we all knew about online misogyny.
- — Rhiannon Lockley (@illdoitanyway)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:44:37@helenlewis Ongoing prob. most abuse I've had "mild" - e.g. get back in kitchen, tho tagged in obscene pics. Friends have had rape threats.
- — Lauren DH (@roseneath_rd)Thu, Nov 03 2011 13:47:17@helenlewis thank you for writing that. I did CiF post on abortion counselling under real name & worried for weeks about the abuse I'd get
- — petitefeministe (@)Thu, Nov 03 2011 14:03:45@helenlewis It's too easy to get into mind-set of "maybe they're right, I'm being over-sensitive", but it's NOT just me being over-sensitive
Silenced by hate
Some reaction to my piece on the sexist abuse received by female bloggers...
byHelen Lewis 1 Like6,107 Views