- Think about this the next time you decide between your next Samoa or Thin Mint..
- Some fun facts about Girl Scouts:- Juliette Gordon Lowe organized the first Girl Scout Troop on March 12, 1912 in Savannah, Ga.- It was chartered by the U.S. Congress on March 16, 1950.- There are 3.2 million Girl Scouts today.- There are troops and groups in more than 92 countries.- More than 50 million American women enjoyed Girl Scouting during their childhood.- There are six levels of Girl Scouting, ranging from Daisies to Ambassadors.- Only three cookies are mandatory today: Thin Mint, Peanut Butter Sandwich and Shortbread.- All cookies are kosher.
- Here's some of the things that the Girl Scout Cookie program funds:- Chosen activities for the year- Summer camp- Community service and leadership projects- Travel to provide events for girls in the communitySelling girl scout cookies helps girls to:-Realize their potential-Become strong, confident, resourceful citizens-Learn life skills, realize goals, have funGirl Scouts learn to develop 5 essential skills:- Goal setting- Decision making- Money management- People skills- Business ethics
"Making It Count
All of the proceeds—every penny—from a local council's cookie activities remains in the area where the cookies are sold. This revenue is used to benefit girls, some of it directly by remaining in the Girl Scout troop/group treasury and some of it indirectly by subsidizing the cost of providing the Girl Scout program in the local area." - Girl Scouts of the USA
- As this post mentions, 70 percent of cookie revenue stays in the local Girl Scout council to provide a portion of the resources needed to support girl scouting in that area. The balance goes directly to the baker to pay for the cookies.
- What happens when you buy a box of cookies from a girl scout?
- The Girl Scout Mission: Girl scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Despite this cost to your body, the Girl Scouts objective is not 'expensive'. For $3.50 a box, you can support girls across the nation. Most cookie eaters know little about the Girl Scouts of the USA program.
"Girl Scout cookies are sold for a short time every year, and are considered a snack treat. As with all treats, they should be enjoyed in moderation." - Girl Scouts of the USA
- Shortbread cookies, sometimes known as Trefoils, are probably the best Girl Scout cookie for you. With five shortbread cookies you consume 160 Calories, seven grams of sugar and only 2.5 grams of saturated fat.
- Thin Mints, the most widely sold Girl Scout cookie, have 10 grams of sugar and five grams of saturated fat. At four cookies, the serving size is a bit more generous. 10 grams is 25 percent of the recommended amount of added sugar in your daily intake.
- Girl Scout cookies are an 'expensive' treat. Of all the cookies, Somoas contain the most sugar, listing it as the first ingredient. A serving size of two cookies contains five grams of saturated fat, which is 25 percent of your daily value. 2 easily-edible Somoas are 140 calories.
- Let's face it. We all love Girl Scout cookies. Somoas, a mixture of caramel, chocolate and coconut, are a personal favorite of mine. Although Somoas used to be called Caramel deLites, there is nothing lite about them, or any other cookie for that matter. Girl Scout cookie time does not come without a cost.