- Short version of the story on Hugo: he has a history of ongoing predatory and manipulative behavior (and lying about that behavior), and bills himself as a male feminist and ally to women in large part on the strength of a narrative that he's found "redemption" from his former ways. There's more detailed background in the couple links below.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:24:28If ONLY for the reason that he makes so many women and so many survivors feel unsafe, myself included, STOP ENABLING HIM. That is feminism.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:24:56Yes. RT @thetrudz [me] EXACTLY. The endless worship of Hugo by WW reminds me of BW and Eddie Long types. Patriarchy is a goddamn mess.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:28:14We're feminists. When women say "this white straight cis privileged dude makes me feel unsafe," we're supposed to listen. Not complicated.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:29:12I specify those privileged IDs because some women have race/gender identity/class, etc. privilege over some men (who are deemed "unsafe").
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:29:58And as many WOC have repeatedly pointed out, there is NO WAY a man of color with Hugo's history would be as lauded by feminists as he is.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:30:47Can you imagine a black man who admitted to trying to kill his ex and wrote abt being an "accidental rapist" being heralded as enlightened?
- — Miranda Nelson (@charenton_)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:31:27@graceishuman Honest question: is there anything the man could ever do or say to earn forgiveness, repent for his past, make amends?
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:32:13Feminism is not his space to make amends. Women's spaces are not his for making amends. He has said this himself to another man.@charenton_
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:38:17It honestly makes me feel sick to my stomach whenever I see a feminist/activist I respect link Hugo. I right now feel like I could puke.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:39:17And I don't have a history of being subjected to the specific manipulative & abusive behaviors Hugo engages in. I don't have those triggers.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:41:35.@neville_park loads of people do it. I'm not really interested in calling one particular person out; it's a bigger issue than that.
- — Grace (@graceishuman)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:42:56He is making women feel unsafe. He is triggering survivors. Whether he INTENDS to is irrelevant. Supposed to be 101 level feminism, yes?
On feminist abuse culture and enabling
Jezebel ran a piece by Hugo Schwyzer on why it should be OK to publicly shame creeps who present themselves as "Nice Guys" (e.g., the tumblr "Nice Guys of OK Cupid"). Problem: Hugo himself has a bad case of Nice Guy syndrome, and support from feminist/women's spaces is letting him get away with it.
byTope Fadiran7 Likes7,078 Views