- To set the scene: library discovery platforms aren't magic, and don't make library data problems go away. Listen to a library data munger:
- — Christina Harlow (@cm_harlow)Wed, Mar 18 2015 12:54:43b4 moving to NEW. GREAT. cataloging+discovery platforms that oh, yeah, lock down catalog + replace w/vendor data, talk to a cataloger or 3.
- — Christina Harlow (@cm_harlow)Wed, Mar 18 2015 12:57:41i promise, catalogers aren't as out of touch as we think or i joke abt. many just want to be at the table + be heard over din of NEW + TECH
- — Christina Harlow (@cm_harlow)Wed, Mar 18 2015 12:59:11that is all, now back to work on disc layer issues that stem from vendor data our new system forces us to use instead of our own data.
- But who listens to catalogers and metadata people? Sometimes that's a problem:
- — Becky Yoose (@yo_bj)Wed, Mar 18 2015 13:25:45For some thoughts about how librarianship class system + stereotypes work irl, see @cm_harlow's recent tweets about catalogers/metadata ppl.
- Here I ask a loaded question...
- — Galen Charlton (@gmcharlt)Wed, Mar 18 2015 13:58:03
- — Céline Carty (@cjclib)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:01:55
- But the focus quickly shifts to the divide between data and systems:
- — Christina Harlow (@cm_harlow)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:09:00
- — Christina Harlow (@cm_harlow)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:11:31
- A theme: technology is not magic. Library data, and library data work, still matter:
- — Céline Carty (@cjclib)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:13:57
- In particular, discovery systems need good data to work (sound familiar?):
- — Erin Leach (@erinaleach)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:16:25
- — Erin Leach (@erinaleach)Wed, Mar 18 2015 14:17:36We talk about making library collections more discoverable w/out also talking about supporting creation/remediation of underlying metadata.
Library data, library systems: a conversation
Folks who work in library data (e.g., catalogers and metadata librarians) and folks who work in library systems (e.g., developers and system analysts) sometimes end up talking past each other. Sometimes, though, conversation happens.
byGalen Charlton7,803 Views