- It is hard to believe that the 2016-17 school year is coming to a close. The last day of school will be on Tuesday, June 20, which is a half day. Throughout the course of the next few weeks, grade levels will participate in a variety of activities, events, and field trips. Please make sure to stay connected so that you and your child do not miss out on these opportunities. I have highlighted a few events below:
- 6/1- Grade 6 to visit LMS, 8:45-10:15
6/2 - Kindergarten to Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center, 9:00-12:00
6/5- Summer Reading Presentation- Mrs. Brewer
6/9- All School Meeting “Reflective”- hosted by Grade 6, 2:00
6/9 - Grade 4 to Sturbridge Village, 7:45-2:45
6/13- JWL Field Day
6/14- Spirit Day “Flag Day”- Wear patriotic attire
6/15- Grade 3 to Roger Williams Park Zoo,, 8:45-2:45
6/16- Grade 6 Dance, 6:00-8:00 in JWL gym
6/20- Grade 6 Promotion, 11:00 in GFS gym
Save the dates:
8/30- First day of school for students
9/21- GFS and JWL Picture Day
- Fifth grade students participated in the D.A.R.E. Program taught by Officer McSwain from the Ledyard Police Department. After several months of lessons, students were required to write an essay encompassing what they had learned. One student from each class was selected to read his or her essay at the D.A.R. E. graduation. Brady, Emma, Samantha, and Kathryn did an amazing job reading in front of a large audience! Officer McSwain also awarded a Peer Model award to one outstanding student. Helena was totally surprised and accepted the award with poise. Congratulations to all of the graduates! The students gave Officer McSwain a special shirt to express their gratitude for his dedication.
- If you have driven by Juliet W. Long School lately, you will see that our mural project is in full swing. Despite some challenges with the weather, students have worked with Ms. David and Mr. McNabney to create a beautiful design called "Flow." Once the mural is complete, we will have a special dedication. This project would not have been possible without the support of the PTO and many parent volunteers who helped ensure all students had an opportunity to contribute.
- The annual PTO Basket Raffle and Silent Auction was a huge success! We raised over $6,000.00, which will be used to support and provide educational opportunities for our students. What a testimony this is to the amazing community we have here in Ledyard. Superintendent Hartling helped announce the winners. He was disappointed that he did not win the Jumbo Beanie Boos basket. Thanks to all who made this event possible again this year!
- Jump Rope for Heart was held on May 22 and 23. Students enjoyed jumping rope for a good cause. They were able to raise money to help support the American Heart Association. Paige served as this year's ambassador.
- The All District Elementary Band performed its annual spring concert on Wednesday, May 14. All three of the instrumental music teachers expressed their pride in the hard work and dedication of all of the students. If your child is interested in participating in sixth grade band next year, we will send out information in the fall. Below is a link to a video of the concert:
- Did you know that the GF/JWL Art Department has a website?
On it you will find all the art videos from All School Meetings. You will also find announcements and art ideas for home. On the last day of school, we will post some ideas for summer drawing activities. Drawing is a great way to be calm and improve motor skills.
Holly David and Alicia Smith