- NOTE: Some of the following tweets contain topics like suicide, eating disorders, bullying, hate crimes, and other violence. Please read with caution.
- — Erin Hawley (@geekygimp)Fri, Jul 15 2016 23:53:24"I care about accessibility and it sucks it's not accessible, but here are ten reasons why I honestly don't care." #ShitAbledPeopleSay
- — Erin Hawley (@geekygimp)Fri, Jul 15 2016 23:56:15"Everything can't be accessible - sometimes you just can't do a thing" (as they do the thing in front of you like NBD) #ShitAbledPeopleSay
- I don't claim to have invented the hashtag, but I think my tweets resonated with others. Seeing all these people sharing their stories and microaggressions was quite powerful. I wanted to share some highlights - this is by no means a complete Storify. Follow the #ShitAbledPeopleSay hashtag on Twitter for more as the conversation continues. <3
- — Audrey T. Carroll (@AudreyTCarroll)Sun, Jul 17 2016 01:37:12
- — Lee#BlackLivesMatter (@heaveenlee)Sun, Jul 17 2016 01:12:29"you're autistic?! no way! you're just socially awkward!" "everyone has ocd/adhd/anxiety to some degree! i understand!" #shitabledpeoplesay
- — Canadarmpit (@Taylewd)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:59:58Actually I don't mind being called disab-- "Shh no, I'm very concerned when people say things I find offensive to you." #ShitAbledPeopleSay
- — Evander v ♿ (@soul_into_hades)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:53:49"Online friends aren't REAL friends" #ShitAbledPeopleSay disregarding access and having people in a similar situation to our own.
- — Canadarmpit (@Taylewd)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:53:05"Oh you find the arts scene inaccessible & unaccommodating? You should write/direct/produce/tech/act in your own show!" #ShitAbledPeopleSay
- — Canadarmpit (@Taylewd)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:46:36"Hi, you seem 'interesting'. Shall we meet up so I can decide whether to desexualize or fetishize you?" #ShitAbledPeopleSay on dating sites
- — Pooka (@fractalbears)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:35:59"You don't look disabled" Please explain to me what exactly disability looks like and how you came to your conclusion. #shitabledpeoplesay
- — Linden Levye (@hulk_rabbit)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:34:38"Leave your bag here, you don't need to drag it around with you." "I just moved your bag, what's the big deal?" MY MEDS. #ShitAbledPeopleSay
- — Kirsty Hall (@kirstymhall)Sun, Jul 17 2016 00:30:54Everyone seems to have something wrong with them these days, back in my day we never had any of this nonsense! #ShitAbledPeopleSay
Tweets from disabled folks about things abled people say to us.
byErin Hawley13,084 Views