- Word of the storms began spreading soon after the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm watch for most of the metro Detroit area.
- Within an hour, the first funnel clouds were reported and a tornado warning was issued for parts of Washtenaw and Livingston counties.
- Weather watchers around the nation tracked the storm.
- Matthew Altruda of Ann Arbor was in Hudson Mills Metropark near Dexter when the storm hit. He took this incredible footage of the tornado. Warning: this video contains graphic language.
- Other people shared photos of the tornado, too.
- And quickly, photos spread of the damage, including several homes being completely leveled.
- — Rick Reichmuth (@rickreichmuth)Thu, Mar 15 2012 23:27:07Search and rescue under way in Dexter, MI after tornado destroys mulitple homes. That storm now south of Detroit.
- People immediately took to Twitter to discuss the storm.
- — Travis Clark (@theterrifictc)Thu, Mar 15 2012 23:28:34Seems as though the campus was spared. Several tornado touchdowns reported in the Ann Arbor area. Hopefully everyone is okay.
- — Rich Pirrotta (@richpirrotta)Thu, Mar 15 2012 23:29:32Brother in law and family safe although tornado hit their sub near Ulrich street Dexter MI Praise God for hand of protection!
Tornadoes in southeast Michigan: videos, photos, reports from on the ground
A string of severe thunderstorms that produced multiple funnel clouds and confirmed tornadoes rumbled through southeast lower Michigan Thursday evening.
byDetroit Free Press3 Likes11,923 Views