- An Olympic feature story about small-town athletes brought me to Jonesboro, Arkansas to interview former Olympic pole vaulter Earl Bell (left) and current Olympian Jeremy Scott.
- What I didn't expect to find was Earl's father, Dr William Bell, who is still jumping at age 90.
- The original story was posted on the BBC website with a little cameo by Dr Bell early in the piece.
- But a 90-year-old jumping over a 7ft high bar demanded its own video and so I edited a short clip and we posted it on YouTube and the BBC World News Facebook account.
It didn't take long for the internet to find the story
- Deadspin had it first:
- And the rest followed quickly:
- Even internationally, the story was popular:
And people on social media started to chime in: