• Programming and partnership strategies to target new audiences.
• How does the cinema venue take over from the distributor when promoting films?
• Social Media: promoting film theatres and films to young internet users. Exhibitor/distributor initiatives
• How to adapt marketing strategies set up in other sectors?
• How to train cinema staff to use new technologies.
• How can the film theatre open its doors to new content and new audiences?
Directed by Madeleine PROBST (Producer, Watershed Media Centre in Bristol, Great-Britain) together with Maciek Jakubczyk (Education Officer and Distribution Manager, New Horizons Association, Poland) and Mathias Holtz (Programming Manager, Folkets Hus och Parker, Sweden), this seminar will enable exhibitors to exchange expertise, information and experiences of programming, events and marketing strategies to attract audiences, in particular young people.
For this first seminar, Europa Cinemas and Europa Distribution (European Network of Independent Film Distributors) will set up a joint half-day session to debate about the renewing of audiences for European films.
- PROGRAMMEDAY 1 - Welcoming words & Getting to know each other setting out the challengesDAY 2 - Cinema in its community, re-imagining our cinema spaces, making partnerships and approaching new audiencesDAY 3 - Renew the cinema offer (Joint session with Europa Distribution) and get new contentDAY 4 - Conclusions and debriefing
DAY ONE: THURSDAY 13 MARCH 2014Welcoming wordsMira Staleva (Deputy Director of Sofia International Film Festival)
Claude-Eric Poiroux (Europa Cinemas, General Director)
Madeleine Probst (Watershed Media Centre - Bristol, Great-Britain)
- Claude-Eric Poiroux "It is very important that everyone here share his manner to communicate with the audience"
- CEP "Cinema is one of the three social markers (with music and clothes)"
- Session 1 - Getting to know each other & setting out the challenges
- The Europa Cinemas network has 4 members in Bulgaria:
Dom na Kinoto, Euro Cinema, Lumière in Sofia & Festival and Congress Centre in Varna. All the venues are represented in the seminar!
(We look forward to visiting the Euro Cinema all together tomorrow morning)
- Conclusion of the Day
The self-presentation of the participants challenges show common aspects: many consider the programming or the screening room as strong points whereas they often feel penalized for the lack of space - in the lobby or outside the cinema. Some representative from Eastern countries still reveal the problem with the digital equipment. Besides these structural aspects, the cinemas representative already demonstrate creativity skills. Tomorrow, we will precisely think about spaces.
DAY TWO: FRIDAY 14 MARCH 2014
The day starts with a field trip @ Euro Cinema.
How does local venue fit into the community of Sofia? This is what we are going to find out visiting the Euro Cinema in Sofia altogether this morning. The participants will think about their 'experience' of crossing the threshold of the cinema and will have a reflection on their own venues.