In a rapidly evolving digital consumer context of 'everything, everywhere, now', how can we think creatively and smartly about developing the next generation of film-goers and practitioners? Whether that's through partnership working, participatory practice, event cinema or good old-fashion imagination, how do we turn today’s challenges into opportunities to ensure that cinemas remain vital and sustainable spaces for audiences to experience and engage with film? How do we re-imagine our models of practice and venues to ensure that we are fit for purpose in the 21st century? Our focus in Bologna, within a festival that is committed to ‘rediscovering’ lost or forgotten cinema is on the critical issue of engaging audiences of the future.
As James Dean, the icon of a rebellious 1950s generation takes centre stage in Piazza Maggiore, spend five days to reflect on these timely questions, take part in practical workshops, share with your peers, extend your networks and unleash your creative thinking!
The seminar will be directed by Madeleine PROBST (Programme Producer, Watershed, Bristol, United Kingdom & Vice-President of Europa Cinemas) with Mathias HOLTZ (Programming Manager, Folkets Hus och Parker, Stockholm, Sweden) and support from Marco VILLOTTA (Cinema Visionario/Tucker Film, Udine, Italy) and Muffin HIX (The Lost Picture Show, United Kingdom)
- Dowload the programme here
- The programme of Il Cinema Ritrovato 2014 is online!
- Europa Cinemas Audience Development Innovation Lab opening in 4 days with a conversation between Gian Luca Farinelli (Cineteca di Bologna) & Jonathan Nossiter (filmmaker) on Natural Resistance
- Friday evening, the team and some of the participants are already in Bologna. The posters of Cinema Ritrovato are all over the streets and bring us in the great atmosphere of the city and the festival!
- DAY 1. 28 June 2014The Innovation Lab 2014 is now officially open! Here is the programme of the afternoon:3:30 – 3:45pmOPENING & WELCOMEClaude‐Eric Poiroux – General Director, Europa CinemasGian Luca Farinelli – General Director, Cineteca di BolognaMadeleine Probst – Programme Producer, Watershed in Bristol and Vice‐President of Europa Cinemas
- 3:45 – 4:15pmCONVERSATION ABOUT CINEMA 1: NATURAL RESISTANCECinetica Di Bologna’s Gian Luca Farinelli & sommelier turned filmmaker Jonathan Nossiter (Mondovino, Natural Resistance) on the parallels between natural wine culture and cinema.
- 4:15 – 5:30pmSETTING OUT THE CHALLENGES & GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHERMeet the workshop leaders Madeleine Probst, Mathias Holtz and the participants.