Auckland, New Zealand, was one of the first to get the party started...
- Thousands of revelers attended the world-famous firework and pyrotechnics display over the harbour in Sydney, Australia.
- Shinto priests gathered at shrines in Japan to prepare to usher in the new year.
- In contrast, Wuhan in China called off its firework display to avoid worsening the city’s smog problem.
- While in most of Chinese cities the celebrations went off without incident
In Moscow security was tight - after the bombings in Volgograd - as Russians enjoyed fireworks over Red Square.
- Many of the world’s larger cities celebrated the new year in style; Dubai broke the world record for the largest firework display. It stretched across 48 kilometres of seafront, with some of the fireworks reaching over one kilometre in height.
In Berlin thousands braved the cold, massing by the iconic Brandenburg gate to take part in one of the world’s biggest outdoor New Year’s Eve parties.