-- Six recommendations for sustainable media --
- First up at the event were Fondation EurActiv's 6 recommendations for independent and sustainable media in Europe (link: PDF).
#1 - an EU strategy for a healthy media sector
- If the European Union wants to back a healthy and sustainable media sector... it needs a plan. An EU strategy on media requires a high level group gathering publishers and journalists around the table. This group will: scrutinise the viability of sub-sectors in the media landscape, look at cross-border media, media syndication and translation in Europe.
#2 - let Commercial revenues grow
- Unnecessary regulation need to be scrapped to allow publishers and media organisations to grow commercially. An assessment of the balance between consumers' interest, readers' needs and public interest will help.
#3 - separate EU comms from EU media strategy
- The EU can invest in existing media and events rather than creating new, EU-controlled ones. This will shift the EU's comms budget from consultancies to media.
#4 - respect Subsidiarity
- Direct EU intervention is tricky in the media landscape. But an EU-wide debate on putting in place decentralised media regulators - independent from governments - will trigger national actions.
#5 - support Quality journalism
- Investigation and fact-checking is at the heart of healthy journalism organisations. The EU can encourage training and support expenses for journalists who challenge myths and populism in Europe.
#6 - develop Innovation Strategy for media
- Media needs innovation now more than ever. The EU's research & development programme Horizon 2020 can invest in media innovation specifically by supporting translation & localisation projects, curation platforms and the development of value-adding social media tools.
-- News --
- The EU should help encourage a better business environment for pan-European media and help it develop new technology pilots, former Commissioners told an event on sustainable media staged in the Parliament last week (29 January).
- Digitisation poses a danger to media diversity and the EU should focus as much on content and quality as access issues within the European Commission’s digital single market strategy, a senior EU executive claimed recently. On EurActiv:
-- The Debate --
- A panel spanning the institutions, media, civil society and industry debated the virtue of an EU strategy for sustainable & independent media.