- When it comes to being a consumer of everyday products you probably don't often times stop to think about the packaging your products actually come in. Sure, you may notice the pretty label or the fact that your canned corn has an easy open tab. But, more than likely not much thought is given to it beyond that point. And while the packaging of your products might seem a bit mundane and unimportant, there was actually a lot of thought that went into the invention of how certain items are packaged together. In this article we'll share with you 3 different packaging inventions that literally have transformed the consumption-based world.
- Vacuum Packaging
- The first packaging invention that we’re going to talk about is vacuum packaging. Vacuum packaging has been around for a while now, and is one of them main ways that manufacturers will use to ensure the longevity and freshness of a product. And unlike with other types of packaging, vacuum packaging is chemical and additive free. How it works is an item, such as a whole turkey, is placed in a plastic bag and then a nozzle is used to suck out all of the air from inside the package. Once all the air has been sucked out, it's instantly sealed with heat and is ready to be boxed in cardboard boxes and shipped to your local grocery store.
One of the most amazing things about vacuum packaging is the fact that it will keep your food fresher longer, and in the freezer will prevent freezer burn. In fact, a vacuum packaged item can last up to two years in the freezer without getting freezer burn or going bad. Plus, vacuum packaging has now become a popular in home method of storing leftovers and other edible items.
- Canning is by far the most popular packaging method on the market. In fact, you could probably go to your pantry right now and a majority of the things that you will see will be canned items. This method of storing has been used for over 200 years and has been the world's main source of food preservation. The reason this method is so highly sought after, is because by canning an item, you help to free the contents of any harmful organisms that may cause health risks. Like with vacuum sealing, home canning is an extremely popular method. And is one you see highly used, especially during harvest seasons.
- Flash Freezing
- Flash freezing is exactly what it sounds like, when food is instantly frozen by using liquid nitrogen. This method has been around since the early 1920s, and unlike traditional freezing that can cause excessive ice crystals. Flash freezing allows frozen foods to still have a fresh snap after being stored for a long period of time. One of the reasons this method is so popular, is because often times people don't prefer the taste of canned fruits or vegetables. Therefore, they opt for this method to have fresher tasting fruits and vegetables.
- All three of these methods have been life-saving inventions that have literally transformed the consumption-based world. They have allowed us to more easily gain access to fresher tasting food that has a much longer shelf life than your every day fresh produce. So, the next time you hit up your local grocery store. Take a minute and say a little thank you to the inventors of these amazing packaging methods.