- The Guardian story by Josh Halliday.
- Before the Guardian story was posted, rumors swirled on Twitter. The lone voice answering these questions was Halliday.
- — Josh Halliday (@JoshHalliday)Wed, Feb 01 2012 22:25:08Sky News email to staff: "Absolutely do not Tweet stories or developments in stories before first putting them through news-desk"
- — Josh Halliday (@JoshHalliday)Tue, Feb 07 2012 19:27:41
- — Kevin Bakhurst (@kevinbakhurst)Wed, Feb 01 2012 22:25:08I'm told #SkyNews have stopped their journos retweeting information/tweets from journalists or people not working for Sky. Must be wrong??
- — Kevin Bakhurst (@kevinbakhurst)Tue, Feb 07 2012 19:19:02Re #skynews and retweets - I'm told an email went round this pm. Story as I said. Alot of disquiet amongst the v good sky tweeters.
- — Charlie Beckett (@CharlieBeckett)Tue, Feb 07 2012 18:49:29Story about #SkyNews ban on staff retweeting other ppl has been on Twitter for over 30 mins without reply. Must be true. Weird.
- Once the story was confirmed, reactions in the Twitterverse loudly expressed unhappiness and disbelief with the news.
- — Matthew Keys (@ProducerMatthew)Tue, Feb 07 2012 20:02:19A person with direct knowledge of the new social media guidelines at Sky News has confirmed to me that the email in the Guardian is legit.
- — Felicity Barr (@FelicityBarrTV)Tue, Feb 07 2012 19:43:39UK journalists expressing outrage on Twitter at the moment after #skynews staff told they can't retweet posts from non-Sky staff.
- — Anthony De Rosa (@AntDeRosa)Tue, Feb 07 2012 20:37:33I thought they were joking, but Sky News actually told reporters not to retweet outside sources or anything off-topic http://soup.ps/ABPuAJ J
- — Darryl Murphy (@darryljoemurphy)Tue, Feb 07 2012 19:38:04New #skynews social media rules interesting. Staff often tweet stories which are relevant for our stations but don't make the channel or IRN
- — Jonathan Frost (@Frost_J)Wed, Feb 01 2012 22:25:08
Twitter reacts to changes in Sky News' social media guidelines
On Tuesday, the Guardian broke the story that broadcast news organization Sky News had sent out new social media guidelines to its staff. Most notably, the new rules told employees not to retweet information from other Twitter users who are not employed by Sky News.
byElana Zak4 Likes2,128 Views