- The social media campaign was initiated by Amanda Feery, Finola Merivale, and Emma O'Halloran.
- — Emma O'Halloran (@emmamohalloran)Tue, Mar 14 2017 10:52:09
- — Finola Merivale (@FinolaMerivale)Tue, Mar 14 2017 13:40:57
- People soon joined in the call and explained their reasons for participating.
- — Caren Finnegan (@CarenFinnegan)Tue, Mar 14 2017 12:45:21
- — Denyse Woods (@duneezewudds)Tue, Mar 14 2017 14:32:06
- — Yfat Soul Zisso (@YfatSoulZisso)Tue, Mar 14 2017 14:47:09
- — Denyse Woods (@duneezewudds)Tue, Mar 14 2017 22:28:42#Diversity in #newmusic please. A broader range of composers. So much talent available. #TimeforEquality pls RT https://twitter.com/FinolaMerivale/status/841763762671620096 …
- — Finola Merivale (@FinolaMerivale)Wed, Mar 15 2017 03:18:13
- — Vicky Langan (@vicky_langan)Tue, Mar 14 2017 19:11:26#equalitytime = Irish people tweeting 🎶institutions/ensembles/fests w/ recs to help address woeful gender imbalance. https://twitter.com/lianbell/status/816613043727699968 …
- — Susan Geaney (@sueG333)Tue, Mar 14 2017 11:33:17No better time to set up a twitter account in support of Sounding the feminists! #firsttweet #equalitytime #newmusic #timeforequality https://twitter.com/amandafeery/status/841590755252674560 …
- — Denyse Woods (@duneezewudds)Tue, Mar 14 2017 23:17:09Music for All by All. #diversity #EqualityTime #NewMusic https://twitter.com/FinolaMerivale/status/841786547200512000 …
- — Studio Sostegno (@StudioSostegno)Wed, Mar 15 2017 13:55:33Women are 50% of the population yet female composers are underrepresented. We can do better! #timeforequality #NewMusic #HearAllComposers https://twitter.com/finolamerivale/status/841639630378262532 …
- Representation matters.
- — Laura Watson (@lauracwatson)Tue, Mar 14 2017 10:56:45Dead right. #equalitytime for female musicians on festival programmes. https://twitter.com/adnhnrt/status/841603125328936961 …
- Campaigners shared names and images of women composers they would like to hear more of in the future. This is an excellent resource for those seeking to commission new work, programme new music, or educate and inform others.
- The women composers highlighted here are diverse in terms of age, race, ethnicity, as well as in terms of their music.
Sounding the Feminists: Time for Equality in Music Programming
Sounding the Feminists, a coalition of composers, musicians, & music scholars, began a social media campaign for gender equality in music programming.
byMelanie L. Marshall1 Like1,119 Views