- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:02:38One agent, who I'm not naming cuz I forgot, had the audacity to say she didnt send rejections because she didnt like "all that negativity"
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:06:23You dont like all that negativity? Then be a gardener or a McDonalads server so you can give people happy meals instead of rejection letters
- — Laura Anne Gilman (@LAGilman)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:06:32@djolder Same for editors. If an agent says "please get back to me by x," do so. It takes 1 minute to say you're not going to make an offer.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:08:03And for folks that aren't submitting because you afraid of rejection: 2014 is the year to get past that shit. We need your voices out here.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:09:51Editors/agents: the publishing world is mystifying and scary to folks not in it. Working towards diversity means cultivating accessibility.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:10:41That's on you as much as it's on us writers. Your outreach, your openness to stories beyond your experience, your willingness to teach/learn
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:11:47Writers: You will get rejected. Accept that and keep it moving. It's not personal, it's not about your soul. It's about your writing.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:12:57I got rejections from 40 agents before I found one to work with. And then I left her, got rejected a bunch more before i found Eddie.
- — Little Lilo (@Roewoof)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:13:12@djolder I consciously always knew that I'd get rejected a bunch of times, but there's a little voice that reminds me all the time
- — Little Lilo (@Roewoof)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:13:32@djolder and it translates to "maybe you're not good enough" and I feel like I'm always battling it when I sit down to write.
- — Morgan Jerkins (@MorganTheScribe)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:14:05@djolder It's hard to not take it personal when your writing comes from the soul even if your craft can be improved.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:14:53it is hard not to take it personal. It's hard as fuck. But it makes us better writers when we can step back. @MorganTheScribe
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:16:16Editors: it's not enough just to change your sub guidelines and make nods to diversity in random speeches. We need you to be outrageous.
This Is The Year You Send Your Shit Out Into The World
A discussion on submitting, getting rejected, submitting some more and a Q&A About Pitching
byDaniel José Older2 Likes1,028 Views