- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:38:19it's ok if Feeling Myself is your writing anthem. You should totally be feeling yourself. No one else can tell your story like you can.
- — Ashley C. Ford (@iSmashFizzle)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:42:55Arrogant, stuck up & bougie are the first things a woman gets called when she asks for or demands what she deserves. https://twitter.com/djolder/status/613023965632552961 …
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:43:02Give yourself permission to be unruly and reckless and imperfect and utterly human because human is what we never get to be.
- — jackie (@colorlessblue)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:43:21I searched @djolder's name on Kobo to get Shadowshaper, didn't find it yet. But Kobo suggested as related "I got drunk with Frida Kahlo".
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:45:56There's a messy line between perfectionism and self-love when it comes to writing. the answer has to do with who you're writing for.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:46:53If you're writing for some vague universal humanity - which usually means white - you're striving for a false neutral form of "perfect"
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:47:34and you'll drive yourself mad trying to keep everybody kinda happy, but no one thrilled and no one furious. Recipe for tepid mediocrity.
- — Hallelujah Anasuya (@AnasuyaIam)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:48:42I so needed to fall into this Bustelo-filled Fountain of Hope from @djolder. ¡Wepa! El Gran Combo here I go! Thank U https://storify.com/djolder/writing-begins-with-forgiveness …
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:49:01If you set out to sit down across from us at the table and say what it really is, right here right now regardless of who that truth unnerves
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:49:55we will hear you, and see our own stories in yours, regardless of how far apart we are at that table, and that's when literature comes alive
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Mon, Jun 22 2015 16:53:39Related post from the vaults: THIS IS THE YEAR YOU SEND YOUR SHIT OUT INTO THE WORLD http://ghoststar.net/blog/this-is-the-year-you-send-your-shit-out-into-the-world … cc: @YasminYonis
- — Malon Edwards (@MalonLouis)Mon, Jun 22 2015 17:05:04@djolder Drunk With Frida Kahlo: that's the name of my next band. Or my next urban fantasy short story. Whichever comes first.
Permission to be Unruly, Reckless and Human
byDaniel José Older368 Views