- — Peter Wilhelm Rauch (@Wordbeast)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:31:22@djolder I was thinking recently of that feeling when characters seem to be operating on their own, and your writing surprises you.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:31:31but when I'd blog the shit that had happened the night before on the ambulance...I would just spit it right out http://ghoststar.net/crossroads
- — Peter Wilhelm Rauch (@Wordbeast)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:32:02@djolder (Or, y'know, me.) I think it's just the way it looks when I suddenly get out of my own way and stop second-guessing the words.
- — yung devdas (@BernardHayman)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:34:08@djolder Been struggling with this recently while trying to write more consistently. Basically re-learning how to trust myself on the page
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:34:24but beyond that even, I made a point of writing the blog like I was telling the story in person. Cuz no one tells stories like paramedics
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:35:22And I personally love that feeling of words being alive on the page like they're being told right to you, the intimacy of a spoken story
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:36:16and I love that we as writers are rooted in that tradition, whether we acknowledge it or not - the spoken word is always there.
- — yung devdas (@BernardHayman)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:40:31@djolder Inspiration is there, the voices are talking...just gotta relax & be the conduit, not worry about what looks or sounds "right"
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:42:14Signs of insecure writing: Overexplaining, extra flowery language, a million adverbs, lack of rhythmic variety... (I've done all these)
- — Dandy McFopperson (@rosefox)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:44:27@djolder A lot of that comes from seeing something SO CLEARLY in your head and then trying to convey it exactly and precisely to the reader.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Sun, Jan 25 2015 05:46:26yes! and feeling like you won't be able to do it, so you gotta REALLY! MAKE! IT! CLEAR!...and it comes across condescending @rosefox
On Confidence and Writing
stop overexplaining shit
byDaniel José Older2 Likes367 Views