- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:11:04I'm so tired of cartoonists being self-righteous about free speech like they're somehow automatically the scrappy underdog even when racist.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:13:21Tired of artists in general self-portraying as heroes of anything in some faux-counterculture when all they ever done is tow the party line
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:14:26you making art ≠ you are oppressed you making art ≠ you speak for the oppressed you making art ≠ your life matters more than someone elses
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:16:26you know when you become brave as an artist? when you stand up for something besides being a racist under the banner of free speech. foh.
- — Black-passing Asian (@dtwps)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:17:52@djolder this...is the definition of plebcomics on Tumblr. Super edgy white chick thinking her racism comics are *~gold~*
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:19:27You a fully grown adult and you've spent more energy defending your right to say the n word than caring about actual Black life. You failed.
- — thoughtcrime (@rawdawgbuffalo)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:20:25@djolder My grandpa (rip) said 99% of being brave was being scared to death and 1% not caring what others think
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:22:23AND NOW you're patting yourself on the back...because "Freedom." Do you know what a tea-party douchebag you sound like? Except "Left"
- — Edwin Arroyo (@ArroyoEacid)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:26:40
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:36:16understand that in 2015, publishing ind professionals regularly tell me they don't speak out against racism b/c they fear repercussions.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:40:21If your attack on censorship doesn't include the all American form of self-censorship for fear of repercussions, miss me with it.
- — Daniel José Older (@djolder)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:42:04A publishing industry that is 89% white, 1% black and 3% latino is censorship. What Chimamanda called fetishized comfort. Attack that.
- — Geoffrey D. Wessel (@gdwessel)Wed, Jun 03 2015 02:52:09.@djolder Mate, thanks for that. A lot of what I've been feeling, and the disappointment I've had with many in comics.
Attack That: Censorship, Publishing, "Counterculture"
byDaniel José Older1,008 Views