You cannot do everything all of the time.
- — Jesse Balzer (@ruiningtrailers)Sun, Aug 20 2017 18:09:22@desembree You don't have to know everything. I drove myself crazy trying to keep up with everyone's references. It's not possible. Just do your thing.
- — Maureen Berg (@MaureenBug)Sun, Aug 20 2017 20:44:42@desembree Also, while it's good to be open to new opportunities, learn to say "no" if you're being stretched too thin. Take care of yourself.
- — Dr Ben Britton (@BMatB)Sun, Aug 20 2017 20:43:44
- — Irascible KW, Phd (@kristenwarner)Sun, Aug 20 2017 21:44:36You don't have to read everything assigned. It'll overwhelm you or it'll make you braggy which creates unnecessary friction w ur cohort. https://twitter.com/desembree/status/899328784113053696 …
- — Kyle Wrather (@kylewrather)Sun, Aug 20 2017 22:13:03@desembree All good ones I've heard: Work smarter, not harder. Look for ideas/opportunities/skills everywhere. Grad school is a job, not an identity.
Take care of the essentials (which include yourself!)
- — Brianna Bibel (@biochem_bri)Mon, Aug 21 2017 09:26:49@desembree ... Don't be afraid to seek out mental health support if you need it. And finally, remember that you've worked hard to get here & you
- — Rachelle A.C. Joplin (@rach_joplin)Sun, Aug 20 2017 21:55:38@desembree Ask about summer support early and often. Get used to budgeting for 12 months on 9 months of salary/irregular pay schedules.
- — Emily N. Bartz (@Phusaza)Sun, Aug 20 2017 22:22:10
- — 🌿Josh Kellogg🍄 (@jkellogg916)Mon, Aug 21 2017 16:47:59Make time for self-care, however that looks to you. It's so incredibly important. https://twitter.com/desembree/status/899328784113053696 …
- — Anna Mackenzie (@DrAnnaMack)Tue, Aug 22 2017 12:11:46
Make sure to take time off from work.
- — Irascible KW, Phd (@kristenwarner)Sun, Aug 20 2017 21:46:55Enjoy your weekends as much as you can. You'll feel compelled to work all the time. This...won't make you go faster. https://twitter.com/desembree/status/899328784113053696 …
- — Jacinta (@learnteachwin)Sun, Aug 13 2017 21:44:22I refuse to work ALL the time. Like grad school will take your whole life & folks will have you thinking that's how it should be. https://twitter.com/Aylett1990/status/896768514815426560 …
- — Maureen Berg (@MaureenBug)Sun, Aug 20 2017 20:44:06@desembree Have some activity/responsibility/hobby outside of grad school, where you interact with adults who are not currently in academia.
- — Lori Morimoto | FFT (@acafanmom)Sun, Aug 20 2017 22:14:27If you're stuck on something, take a shower, do the dishes, go for a drive. Turn off your 'thinking' brain to give it a chance to breathe. https://twitter.com/desembree/status/899328784113053696 …
- — CarrieLynn Reinhard (@MediaOracle)Sun, Aug 20 2017 22:17:54@desembree Take a day off. Do errands. Watch a movie. Eat bad food. Relax. Your mental health is as important as a healthy dissertation committee.
- — Paula Di Stefano (@pjedistefano)Sun, Aug 20 2017 22:58:30@desembree Reserve one day a week for YOU - take a break from school and don't feel guilty about it.
- — Jesse Balzer (@ruiningtrailers)Sun, Aug 20 2017 23:07:34@desembree Also, (and some of your responses already hit on this) as a grad student you're a worker. Never forget it. Don't exploit yourself.
Advice for New Graduate Students
Collected from the #PhDChat Twitter hashtag by @desembree
byDesirae Embree150 Views