- Building links for search engine optimization is difficult, especially for an e-commerce store. This problem can be attributed to the fact that most e-commerce shops have to compete with major companies and brands with extensive resources and a lot of capital. However, this does not mean that you cannot rank as well as these stores.
- It just means that you will require a lot of time, effort and other resources to improve your status. There are different elements of SEO which affect ranking. Therefore, there are other ways in which you can compete with major stores. Here are some simple guidelines on improving SEO in your e-commerce store without relying on link building.
Review Your Title Tags and Meta Description
- You should think about reviewing your title tags and meta descriptions and improving them. In the past, most people used to create these elements for machine recognition. Therefore, older title tags and meta descriptions are often filled with keywords and appear to be spam. This can be detrimental for your ranking in the search results page.
- For the best results, you should optimise these elements in your website for people. After all, your potential customers must read these tags before selecting your website. Also, you should note that semantic searches have been implemented in Google. In simple terms, the engines are able to understand human language, so they will recognise over-optimisation.
Identify Additional Keywords
- When building or improving your website, you should not overlook the importance of keyword research. Often, owners of e-commerce sites forget the significance of category-level keywords. If you take advantage of these additional types of keywords, you will have better SEO results. When choosing your additional terms of phrases, think about how your potential customers will search.
- For example, if you are selling beddings, you should not focus on simply using the word ‘pillow’. This is a popular terms in this sector. However, the term is too generic, so the users searching are unlikely to be interested in buying. Consequently, there is poor click through. You will get better results by focussing on the needs of customers and using keywords such as ‘anti-allergy pillows’.
Enhance Your Search Result with Rich Snippets
- A normal snippet preview on Google results will consist of a title, the description and the page URL. While this provides some information, you should consider enhancing your e-commerce site to use rich snippets. A rich snippet will give additional information on the results, especially a specific product. For instance, the preview might include a picture, the rating, product price and its availability.
De-Index Poor Content Pages
- If you have pages in your e-commerce website which can be categorised as thin content, you should consider de-indexing them. These often cause problems with keyword cannibalisation. This issue occurs when multiple pages in one site target one keyword and the density is high. If this problem exists in your website, the duplication will affect your ranking.
Curate ‘Best Of’ Guides
- Finally, you should curate some ‘best of’ guides on your website. In general, people who are interested in purchasing one of your products will look for lists outlining the best products in the category. Therefore, take advantage of this to increase your search engine ranking.