- — Alberto Cairo (@albertocairo)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:08:20Read the article, then read @jayrosen_nyu's tweets about it (below) https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/769601830015922176 …
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:25:491/ I just finished this. "Donald Trump broke the conservative media." Really important piece. http://www.businessinsider.com/conservative-media-trump-drudge-coulter-2016-8 … I have some comments—
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:29:272/ First, it's probably the greatest "reap what you sow" story I can recall in 28 years of close reading in the media coverage of politics
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:34:033/ In 2004-05 smart people on the right thought "the reality based community" was one the funniest phrases ever heard. Now, not so funny...
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:37:424/ Crucial point @oliverdarcy missed is that throughout this period when conservative elites were saying: don't trust the mainstream media—
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:40:285/ These same conservative elites were turning to the mainstream media's political reporters for their own baseline sense of reality. Daily.
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:44:566/ Of course they read and relied on the conservative media complex too. And they were skeptical readers of the East Coast elite press. But—
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:48:427/ The key point is that conservative elites recommended for the rubes a news diet they were unwilling to follow themselves. In this sense—
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:51:598/ The entire "liberal media" critique was conducted in bad faith once it passed into "don't trust the mainstream media, only 'our' news."
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 18:55:589/ When conservative elites recommended a news diet they did not rely on themselves, that is when they lost touch with what they had done...
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:03:15
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:12:5611/ So do read the regrets of conservative talk radio hosts— http://www.businessinsider.com/conservative-media-trump-drudge-coulter-2016-8 … as they try to rejoin the reality-based community. END.
- — John Linear (@JWLinear)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:19:12
- — Tien Le (@tienle47)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:18:46@jayrosen_nyu Telling that conservative talker actually admitted concern about destroying the credibility of the only credible new sources.
- — Alastair Thompson (@althecat)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:17:26...Matthew Boyle, said [Breitbart's] goal was to “hold the global permanent political class in contempt.” @jayrosen_nyu
- — Saul Tannenbaum (@stannenb)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:16:07@jayrosen_nyu Charlie Sykes has a long history outside the reality-based community, having brought us Scott Walker https://newrepublic.com/article/118145/scott-walkers-toxic-racial-politics …
- — Ryan (@ryanhealy)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:15:37@jayrosen_nyu @oliverdarcy It's really something that John Ziegler is somehow not conservative enough anymore. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2005/04/host/303812/ …
- — richard sands (@TheRichardSands)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:15:18@jayrosen_nyu turns out "the liberal media" is the biggest/worst lie in US political history. not only wrong, but ended up damaging Rs badly
- — Tom Mckay ☭ (@thetomzone)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:06:51@jayrosen_nyu how much "news" does the conservative media even do? campaign coverage, yes, and talking points, but little hard news.
- — (((Amy Selwyn))) (@amyselwyn)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:03:34@jayrosen_nyu This is one of the most interesting (and of course terrifying) streams I've read in a long time re: media and conservatives.
- — (((Amy Selwyn))) (@amyselwyn)Sat, Aug 27 2016 19:06:29@jayrosen_nyu Possibly one of the most terrifying things I've seen in a while. A blue-print for building a Fox nation.
As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap: Working for Fox News Department
Jay Rosen on how the Republicans cooked their goose by creating the alt-right-media-complex
byJ. Bradford DeLong1 Like3,123 Views