- Dryness in mouth is usually resulted from the lack of saliva in the mouth. It is basically caused by lack in the capability of salivary glands to produce saliva. This condition is not only uncomfortable but it also puts you at the risk of getting other oral conditions such as periodontal diseases and tooth decay.
- There can be many reasons for the dry mouth. The reasons may include medications, cancer treatment, stress, and other systematic diseases. To know the exact cause of dry mouth, you can visit the dentist. You will also be able to discuss treatment options in this regard but there are a number of other things that you can do to deal with the dry mouth on your own.
- No matter what the reason for your dry mouth is, water intake is going to benefit you always. When you do not drink water, it can lead you to have dehydration which is a condition associated with the lack of fluids in the body. It’s worth mentioning here that dehydration may not be the reason for your dry mouth but drinking water can still help you in getting rid of the harmful oral bacteria.
Sugar free chewing gum
- Chewing sugar free gum can stimulate the production of saliva in the mouth. Here, you will have to look for a specific ingredient, xylitol, in the chewing gum you are having. This ingredient is the very factor which helps in the production of saliva.
Beverages without caffeine
- While caffeine consumption is considered when you feel lack of energy, it has the capability to make you have a dry mouth. Therefore, you can go for the decaffeinated energy drinks if you want to have a push in your body while making sure that your mouth doesn’t get dried.
Breathe through your nose
- If you are a mouth breather, stop doing it now because breathing from the mouth can result in the extreme dryness of mouth. The ideal practice is to inhale from the nose and exhale from your mouth. However, it’s also good if you use your nose for both inhaling and exhaling. Breathing from the nose have a great benefit because it can let the salivary glands to work without interruption which is created when saliva produced in the mouth is consistently dried due to inhalation from mouth.
- There are no ifs and buts when it comes to quitting smoking. Smoking is the only most common habit which doesn’t seem to have health benefits. Among other disasters which are resulted due to smoking, dryness of mouth is the one that people should be concerned about. The reason is that smoking can make mouth dryness, somehow, chronic. But, this is also the fact that smokers find it pretty difficult to quit right away. The best way is to ask the dentist or health physician to know about the point to start from.