- Crowdsourcing is a delicate art. Tom Sawyer knew this when he managed to persuade his friends to pay him for the privilege to paint his fence. Sawyer was on to something, but his means were manipulative. When considering how to transform your brand evangelists into active contributors you have to inspire them into action. What is in it for them? Mutual benefit is the essence of any relationship. Intrinsic motivation is far more powerful than any tangible reward.
A few points on crowdsourcing. Make the advocates feel altruistic: they are important. Put their project in perspective: show how they are a key contributor to something great. Give them praise and recognition. Most importantly, make it fun!
- Posterboards > Slides
- It all started with some words by Mark Train.
"Doing work isn’t fun. Getting other people to do work for you is.You may recall from your grade school days that Tom Sawyer got stuck with the unfortunate task of painting a fence on a beautiful summer Saturday. It didn’t take him long to try and pass the task to someone else." - Derek Christensen
- Crowdsourcing is all about:
- "By placing some power in the hands of the users, encouraging your major community evangelists (the fanboys and girls), your community builds more trust in itself." -Amber Rinehard
- This bearded man was the MVP with his thought provoking questions.