- It started off when Crowley joked for some reason that Fluke might be lesbian. At first, the anchor defended it as a "straightforward question."
- Many learned about Crowley's initial tweet from Rob Delaney's response to her. One of the most popular comedians on Twitter—his 385,000 followers dwarfs Crowley's 29,000—Delaney almost never breaks his comedic schtick.
- — rob delaney (@robdelaney)Thu, Apr 26 2012 17:53:42.@MonicaCrowley You're a liar. The insinuation is where you thought the "humor" would come from. You're a liar & you're stupid.
- That opened the floodgates for criticism of Crowley. She retweeted twitterers who were outraged:
- — † ʎǝʞıɯ † (@mikeyNOTmickey)Thu, Apr 26 2012 18:00:24@MonicaCrowley You're a disgusting liar. Atleast her tits and ass isn't being used to sell false news, you stupid, imperialistic fuck.
- But she was unrepentant about her joke:
- Of course, that wasn't the extent of people who Crowley pissed off. A sampling of some others:
- — Allen Stairs (@AllenStairs)Thu, Apr 26 2012 17:37:18I'm intrigued tha you think that's what you're doing. RT @MonicaCrowley I love exposing the Left's total lack of a sense of humor.
- — Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy)Thu, Apr 26 2012 17:40:45Just to clarify: When @MonicaCrowley joked that a straight woman who got engaged is gay, she was demonstrating how unfunny everyone else is.
- — DrPuppykicker (@DrPuppykicker)Thu, Apr 26 2012 18:39:43@MonicaCrowley Seriously, which one of you geniuses decided that relentlessly attacking a random woman was a winning strategy?
- — Clara Jeffery (@ClaraJeffery)Thu, Apr 26 2012 18:47:17Sad thing is, I'm sure @MonicaCrowley has been called a bitch or a lesbian or whatever for being a powerful, forceful woman. Bonus shame.
- Some users even started the hashtag #CrowleyJokes, where they try to match the anchor's sense of humor.
- — Jesse Taylor (@jesseltaylor)Thu, Apr 26 2012 18:28:00Three guys walk into a bar. All of them saw "ow", because it was an actual iron bar, put there by a gay. #CrowleyJokes
- — Benjy Sarlin (@BenjySarlin)Thu, Apr 26 2012 18:40:39I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How it got into my pajamas -- and turned super gay -- I'll never know #CrowleyJokes
Twitterers lash out against Monica Crowley's lesbian "joke"
Fox News's Monica Crowley is under fire for joking that beleaguered birth-control advocate Sandra Fluke is a lesbian. Curated by Kevin Collier (@KevinCollier) for @DailyDot
byThe Daily Dot10,915 Views