- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:46:27A few words (i.e. a thread) about tonight's show. It was our first show back after Jimmy's mom passed away...
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:47:05It was a really tough day for our whole staff. A lot of us knew his mom Gloria, and she was the best. The best. She loved the show, she loved all of us, and most of all, she loved Jimmy.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:48:12And as @questlove said, Jimmy is not only our boss, he's our family. We love him. So we were devastated for him last week, and we were feeling for him today.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:48:49@questlove I'm sure today was especially tough for Jimmy. The fact that he came out, stood there, and did a normal monologue for the crowd is a testament to how strong he is.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:49:11@questlove But at the desk, you could hear his voice break when talking about our musical guest Taylor Swift, and that's because he knew what he was about to say...
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:49:34@questlove Jimmy's words about his mom were beautiful. "Mom, I'll never stop trying to make you laugh. I love you." I was crying. We all were.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:50:00@questlove The story about his mom squeezing his hand 3 times to say "I love you" when he was a kid, and then him squeezing her hand in the hospital - he hadn't told any of us that story... More on that in a second.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:50:33@questlove First, a quick word about Taylor Swift. She was not scheduled to do our show today. But we wanted something special for this first show back, so we asked her on a complete whim, since she had been in town doing SNL. She said yes with zero hesitation.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:52:00@questlove She sang "New Year's Day." No one had heard it. Suddenly she sings the line, "Squeeze my hand 3 times in the back of the taxi." I nearly gasped. Tears. I think everyone in the audience started sobbing.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:52:26@questlove I could see Jimmy silhouetted at his desk dabbing his eyes with a tissue. We all lost it. It was a beautiful coincidence in a beautiful performance. "Hold on to your memories, they will hold on to you," Taylor sang.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:53:31@questlove That hug between Jimmy and Taylor after the song was 100% real emotion. Whatever you think of Taylor, she did something beautiful for Jimmy and our show today, and we're forever grateful.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:53:57@questlove Thank you to Taylor, the Roots, Higgins, our whole staff and crew, and to all the FalPals, fans, and everyone who reached out to and supported Jimmy and his family. I can tell you it meant everything to him.
- — Mike DiCenzo (@mikedicenzo)Tue, Nov 14 2017 04:54:35@questlove One last note: our show was right on time today, but we edited out a minute to leave room for Jimmy high-fiving audience members during the end credits. It was Gloria's favorite part of the show.
As seen onwhio.com
Tonight Show's Mike DiCenzo on Fallon's return
byCMGNationalNews1 Like12,233 Views