- The term "silence breakers" refers to the women – and men – who came forward with sexual harassment and assault allegations in 2017.
The hashtag #MeToo trended after allegations against mega-producer Harvey Weinstein came to light. Since then, allegations against other big names in Hollywood and entertainment have cost many high-powered men their jobs, multiple media outlets have reported. #MeToo allowed victims to join forces on social media to show that they, too, have been sexually harassed or assaulted.
The cover – which features actress Ashley Judd, software engineer Susan Fowler, activist Adama Iwu, pop star Taylor Swift, strawberry picker Isabel Pascual and a woman whose face cannot be seen – was revealed Wednesday on the "Today" show. Click here to read more about Time's decision.
- The runner-up was U.S. President Donald Trump, while Chinese President Xi Jinping came in at No. 3.
Here's the list of the finalists and why they made the cut:
President Donald Trump
- Trump was named the magazine’s Person of the Year for 2016. Since taking office, he “has spent his first year in the Oval Office attempting to dismantle the work of the Obama administration, from health care to immigration policy, environmental regulations to tax reform, all while continuing to spark feuds and controversy with an unfiltered Twitter feed,” Time noted.
- Photo credit: Evan Vucci/AP
- Jinping, the president of China,is considered one of the country’s most powerful leaders ever. He was granted a second five-year term and has been added to the Communist Party’s constitution, Time reported.
- Photo credit: Andy Wong/AP
- Photo credit: Drew Angerer/Getty Images
- They are the thousands of immigrants brought to the United States illegally as children. The Trump administration has said it plans to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA.
As seen onfox25boston.com
Time names Person of the Year 2017 finalists
byCMGNationalNews1 Like44,833 Views