- Dec 21, 2017 10:33 AM EST: Authorities said all roads have been reopened in Melbourne, 10 hours after they were closed when a man slammed into a crowd of Christmas shoppers.
- Dec 21, 2017 9:06 AM EST: Officials with South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said three of the people injured when a person slammed an SUV into pedestrians in Melbourne on Thursday were South Korean nationals, according to the country's Yonhap News Agency.
- Foreign ministry officials said the injured South Koreans included two adults and a child.
- The adults were seriously injured with wounds to their legs and pelvises. Both were being treated in an intensive care unit, according to Yonhap.
- The child, a boy, suffered a fractured leg, foreign ministry officials said.
- Dec 21, 2017 6:04 AM EST: Police have announced that the incident that left nearly two dozen people injured in Melbourne is not a national security concern, but rather related to drug and mental health issues, The Guardian reported.
- Shane Patton, the acting police commissioner, said that it isn't a "lone wolf" event.
- "I think to describe this as a lone wolf incident is not probably not apt. This is an horrific incident where a person drove directly at pedestrians. It is a crime and we will be fully exploring that... as I have said earlier, one of the key aspects we are exploring is in respect to mental health backgrounds and drug use in respect of this individual," Patton said during a press conference.
- Four of the 19 people injured were critically injured. The other 15 are in stable condition, The Guardian reported.
- One of the patients is a 4-year-old boy, ABC News in Australia reported.
- A second man arrested was filming the incident. Police searched him and found knives in a bag. Police do not believe that he knows the driver or is connected to the suspect, The Guardian reported.
- Original post: At least 14 people were taken to area hospitals; several were described as being in critical condition. Two victims were treated at the scene.
One victim is being described as a young child with a head injury and who is in serious condition, Sky News reported.
The two men, who have not been identified, have been arrested but not charged, police said.
- CNN reported that Melbourne installed concrete bollard on some roads this year after several vehicle-related terror attacks around the globe.
Last December, Melbourne was the target of a plot to blow up explosive devices on Christmas Day. Last month, a man was arrested, charged with terrorism after police said he planned to shoot “as many people as he could” on New Year's Eve. The targeted area was Federation Square next to the Flinders Street station, CNN reported.
In January, a car ran into pedestrians in a shopping area in Melbourne. Six people were killed in that incident, Sky News reported. Another 27 people were injured in the attack three blocks away from Thursday’s crash. Dimitrious Gargasoulas has pleaded not guilty to six counts of murder in the January case, The Guardian reported.