- "His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle," British royal family officials announced on Twitter.
- Follow along with our live updates:
- Nov 27, 2017 1:47 PM EST: Prince Harry said Monday that he and actress Meghan Markle hope to start a family in the future.
"One step at a time," Harry told BBC News on Monday, during the couple's first interview since announcing their engagement. "Hopefully we'll start a family in the near future."
Prince Harry has said in the past that he wants to have a family.
Harry's older brother Prince William already has two children and his wife Kate is pregnant with their third.
- Nov 27, 2017 1:42 PM EST: Actress Meghan Markle said Monday that media coverage of her relationship with Prince Harry has been "disheartening" in its focus on her mixed-race heritage.
During the couple's first interview since announcing their engagement, Markle said that "as naive as it sounds," she had no idea how intense interest would be in her relationship with the prince. She told BBC News that the couple has faced "a lot of mistruths" and she quickly decided not to read any press reports about them.
She said "of course it's disheartening" that there was focus on her background as the daughter of a black mother and a white father.
“At the end of the day I am proud of who I am and where I have come from and we have never put any focus on that, we have just focused on who we are as a couple,” Markle told BBC News.
- Nov 27, 2017 1:32 PM EST: Actress Meghan Markle said that, as an American, she knew little about Prince Harry before a mutual friend set them up in July 2016. She told BBC News that she asked only if he was nice.
The prince didn't know of Markle before they started dating. Markle is an actress best-known for her portrayal of Rachel Zane on the USA series "Suits."
"I was beautifully surprised when I walked into that room and saw her," Harry told BBC News in the couple's first interview since announcing their engagement. "I was like, 'I'm really going to have to up my game here.'"
The prince said he convinced Markle to join him in Botswana a few weeks after their first meeting. For five days, the couple camped out under the stars.
"We were really by ourselves, which was crucial to me to make sure we had a chance to get to know each other," Harry told BBC News.
- Nov 27, 2017 1:07 PM EST: Prince Harry told BBC News on Monday that he and American actress Meghan Markle fell in love "so incredibly quickly" after being set up by a mutual friend more than a year ago.
During the couple's first interview as an engaged couple, the prince said their whirlwind romance "was confirmation to me that all the stars were aligned."
"This beautiful woman just tripped and fell into my life, I fell into her life," Prince Harry said. "I know that she will be unbelievably good at the job part of it as well."
Prince Harry proposed as he and Markle were attempting to roast a chicken at their cottage at Kensington Palace.
"It was just an amazing surprise," Markle said. "It was so sweet and natural and very romantic, he got on one knee."
She accepted his proposal before he could finish getting the words out, Prince Harry said.
- Nov 27, 2017 12:00 PM EST: Markle's on-screen father, actor Wendell Pierce, joined the chorus of well-wishers sharing congratulations Monday after officials announced that the "Suits" actress will wed Prince Harry of Wales in Spring.
- "Harry you have her TV Father's blessing," Pierce wrote.
- Nov 27, 2017 11:45 AM EST: Markle will not become "Princess Meghan" come spring, despite her planned marriage to Prince Harry of Wales.
Markle will take on her husband’s title and become Her Royal Highness Princess Henry of Wales; however, she won’t be “Princess Meghan” because she’s not of royal blood, the Evening Standard reported. According to protocol, a person cannot become royal through marriage.
Prince Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, is expected to bestow a title on Harry on the morning of his nuptials, following royal tradition. The Guardian reported that he will likely become the Duke of Sussex, making Markle a duchess.
- Nov 27, 2017 9:09 AM EST: The couple on Monday made their first public appearance as an engaged couple.
- The prince told reporters that “thrilled” to be engaged, The Guardian reported. Markle added that she was "very happy."
The couple is expected to sit for an interview with BBC News on Monday night.
- Original report: Prince Harry and Markle will be married next spring, royal family officials said, adding that the date "will be announced in due course." They will live at Kensington Palace's Nottingham Cottage.
The 33-year-old prince and the "Suits" actress "became engaged in London earlier this month," the announcement said. He informed his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, and close members of the royal family of the news. He also "sought and received the blessing of Ms. Markle's parents."
- Kensington Palace also shared well-wishes from family members: