- Police were called to the Home2 Suites on Mill Road early Monday morning.
- Update 12:18 p.m. EST Jan. 22: No guests or employees of the Home2 Suites by Hilton were injured in the incident, but the suspect was carried out of the Mill Road hotel on a stretcher after reporting lacerations to his limbs, Capt. Joey Smith said.
Detectives are trying to figure out how he was injured, Smith said.
SWAT officers went room-to-room as part of a sweep of the hotel. Officials are now working to get people back to their rooms.
The incident began about 6:45 a.m. when the unidentified armed man fired at least one shot, shattered the glass of the hotel’s lobby door and went upstairs, Smith said. The suspect, who may have had a long gun and a handgun, said people were chasing him.
“Basically we’re just going to be spreading out now, trying to check his histories, his address history, to determine if there’s another incident somewhere,” Smith said. “We just don’t know right now.”
Tammy Scott saw police with long guns running into the building.
“I started praying. I said, ‘Lord, please don’t let anybody be hurt.’ It’s a crazy world today,” Scott said. “I have two children, and it scares me every day because we don’t know. We’re not guaranteed tomorrow, but there are people out there that do need help.”
Paramedics took the man to a local hospital to be treated for cuts on his arms and leg.
- Update 10:32 a.m. EST Jan. 22: Employees told officers that a man walked into the hotel carrying two guns. They said he told them that people were chasing him and then fired at least one shot through a glass door.
- Update 10:06 a.m. EST Jan. 22: Henry County police told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that a man with multiple firearms fired shots out of a door Monday morning, prompting a police response at Home2 Suites by Hilton.
It is unclear if anyone was injured in the incident, but a man was carried out of the hotel on a stretcher, WSBTV reported.
- The accused shooter was not a guest at the hotel, which is located near McDonough, according to police.
Authorities are looking into another possible crime scene based on their observations about the suspect in custody.
- Original report: Employees told officers that a man walked in carrying firearms and said things that alerted employees.
- Police said Monday morning that they believe they have that man in custody. However, authorities said it’s possible that there is a crime scene at another location. Police did not elaborate, only saying that they noticed certain things about the man that make them believe that is the case.
Officers said the man is not staying at the hotel.
SWAT officers evacuated the hotel early Monday and were going room to room searching the hotel as they investigated.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution contributed to this report.
- Check back for updates on this developing story.